Older steel Texaco water tank,, ok for potable water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockwind1

Reaction score
have a chance to pick up this old tank used as a water tank. bought new back in the 60's and only used for water (so I have been told). I was going to use it for water storage for my windmill. any thoughts on using it for potable water,,

texaco water tank.jpeg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Even if there is no contamination inside the tank, a 60 year old steel tank is not the best thing for storing water. A poly tank would be less expensive, less weight to work with, and would be rated for potable water.

Plant.One

Just here for the Beer.
Reaction score
i have to agree - i would have a hard time trusting a 60 year old anything that you dont have 100% history on (as in you've owned it the whole time) as potable water storage solution.

maybe if it was a super duper grade of stainless and you could 100% ensure that it could be sanitized and like.. it came out of a regularly inspected foodservice facility (ie like a brewers fermenting tank or something of that nature)

but otherwise, probably not worth the risk.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks