Older Basement bathroom drains help

Users who are viewing this thread

Mrman123

Reaction score
Hello hoping to get some advice here.

Renovating my basement. There was a previous washroom in the same space which I have already gutted. Definitely doesn’t seem as if it was done properly before.
house is from the early 60’s

Making some changes to the locations of toilet and shower so that they layout works better.

hoping to get some help with proper venting and if I can make the setup work. I have dug up the main line so far to expose the old clay main drain. I plan to replace this with either pvc or abs for the exposed portion.

I will post a picture of it. Just trying to figure out how to add them here.

Mrman123

Reaction score
the shower setup we are trying to arrange is a shower on the left with the drainage at the bottom left close to the stack. Toilet in middle Then the sink at the top right.

The existing main sewer line is 4” clay. The main stack is 3” copper. Currently that is the only accessible venting. Will I be able to use that vent to supply this bathroom properly?

06F9BFEB-7D84-4A6C-91AA-F4B57C4D4E03.jpeg
45B0E9D7-F523-4DE4-AC4E-91891B2A1AAB.jpeg
A9FEF71B-5F0C-4BAD-907F-8A4CA7A4F3F5.jpeg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are sure that is a dry vent from above, you could bring that around up top and down to the trap adapter for the lav. Then no aav. However I suspect that the pipe coming down is carrying drainage from something above.
IMG_1.jpg

Mrman123

Reaction score
Thank you. Yes I forgot to mention that 3” copper stack has another bathroom directly above this one. The toilet and bathtub above drain into it.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I suspect you may need to run a separate vent for your new basement washroom. Ontario plumbing code no longer allow AAVs for new installations. Although AAVs may continue to be available from some suppliers, they are offered as replacements for existing AAV installations in-place before the code requirements changed.

Mrman123

Reaction score
Could I use that vent if I run an abs pipe beside it and then join with that pipe ABOVE where the wet feeds go into it? Then I would only be using the dry portion of it. This way I don’t have to cut another hole in the roof.

Reach4

Reaction score
Could I use that vent if I run an abs pipe beside it and then join with that pipe ABOVE where the wet feeds go into it? Then I would only be using the dry portion of it. This way I don’t have to cut another hole in the roof.
You would need to join your new dry vent with a dry vent, on a higher floor or in the attic.

If on a higher floor, the joining would have to be at least 6 inches above the flood level of everything that vent serves.

Mrman123

Reaction score
You would need to join your new dry vent with a dry vent, on a higher floor or in the attic.

If on a higher floor, the joining would have to be at least 6 inches above the flood level of everything that vent serves.
Perfect thank you. I should be able to tie in above.

Would this need to be a 2” vent or 1.5”?

Mrman123

Reaction score
I understand that the shower will need to be a 2” drain. Is that 2” shower drain allowed to be tied directly into the 4” main drain using a wye?

Or is it better to use the 3” that I use for the toilet to tie the shower into?

Reach4

Reaction score
Would this need to be a 2” vent or 1.5”?
I would guess that 1.5 is enough, but I don't know.

I understand that the shower will need to be a 2” drain. Is that 2” shower drain allowed to be tied directly into the 4” main drain using a wye?

Or is it better to use the 3” that I use for the toilet to tie the shower into?
I think it is better to tie into the toilet first, so that the toilet is wet vented.

Mrman123

Reaction score
Thanks.

maybe someone else can chime in if the correct pipe size?

It’s going to be tight to run the 3” toilet line since it’s right at the back.
The flow of the main clay pipe is away from the copper stack.

that’s a foundation wall that it runs under.

Mrman123

Reaction score
Would it be more helpful if I made some form of drawing?
I’m worried about the angle of tying the toilet 3” into the main 4” line.

Reach4

Reaction score
Would it be more helpful if I made some form of drawing?
I’m worried about the angle of tying the toilet 3” into the main 4” line.
Yes. 45 degrees is usually a good angle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks