Old water softener, water overflow valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Catalin

Reaction score
Hello guys, 2 years ago I bought a house that has an old softener, Ecowater syatems
IMG_20181127_200941.jpg

It has no overflow float valve in the brine tank, There are 2 lines that enter into the brine tank, the second I think that act like an air valve.
IMG_20181127_201027.jpg

I am almost null in plumbing, so I suppose that when the water level goes up it block the air entering in the tube
33Zx2jPiRZEFYzSEA

But I found that the timer is stopping. When I take that line off (detach it), the timer immediately starts. Next day I find it stopped again. What should I check?
Thanks

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Any idea on the age of the unit? Can you post a picture from the back and top views?

That is a very old design, no meter, not very efficient, and likely beyond any reasonable repair.

Catalin

Reaction score
Here I have other pictures .
I understand that it is very old and is due for a replacement. Next year I hope to change it, but I have no idea what to buy, which specs to consider.

Reach4

Reaction score
Here I have other pictures .
I understand that it is very old and is due for a replacement. Next year I hope to change it, but I have no idea what to buy, which specs to consider.
What is your water hardness? City water? Number of people?

Catalin

Reaction score
I don't know the hardness. Maybe if I call tomorrow the municipality they will tell me? I didn't find on their web site.
We are 8 adults and 3 children

Catalin

Reaction score
Oh, being a museum piece, can I sell it on a good price? Only to find a museum interested in it... ;)

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I used to have an extensive collection of old softeners ranging from the original Mueller valves to Schurz and even your unit. We used the old ones for training new employees how to tear them down and rebuild them. I haven't seen many of your units in the past 5 years, they are slowly becoming a neat part of history. :)

Catalin

Reaction score
Ok, so I have to look for a new one. Based on the formula from here http://www.advancedwaterfilters.com...o-i-need-water-softener-capacity-calculation/
And the following data: 10 adults, 6 children, the lady from the city told me that the harness is between 300 and 350, and she added that I will need 35 gpg (maybe because of the iron correction?)
So 15 person x 70 gallons per day x 35 gpg = 36.000 grains per day! A lot. This means 2 cubic feet resin, at least, isn't it?
Any suggestion for a model that get this?
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
This means 2 cubic feet resin, at least, isn't it?
Any suggestion for a model that get this?
More like 9 or 10 cubic ft for a single tank.

Instead, I think, you would want something line a dual tank with each tank having 1.5 or 2 cubic ft of resin. The Fleck 9100 would be a controller for that system. How many GPM of water do you expect to soften a the same time? Lots of showers etc at the same time, or are they spread out thru the day/evening?

Catalin

Reaction score
I can also have the possibility to install 2 regular units in 2 different sections of the house, it is is less expensive or if it offers other advantages. I already have a pipe that bring just the cold water in the second section, where I also have a second water heater

Bannerman

Reaction score
Catalin,

Municipalities will typically state average hardness from all sources over the entire year. It would be advisable to obtain a Hach 5B Total Hardness Test Kit so you can test the hardness at your specific location. When water is sourced from multiple locations, the hardness from each location can differ greatly so depending on your home's proximity to each water source, your hardness may be higher or lower than average. The kit can also be used to test the softened water so as to verify the softener's performance.

If your water is chlorinated as I expect it will be, ferrous iron will have been oxidized and will not be an additional load on the softener. Oxidation will convert ferrous iron to ferric iron which will precipitate out as a solid (rust) that can be removed with a simple sediment filter if needed.

When sizing a softener, the softener's total capacity is not utilized but the capacity to be programmed per regen cycle is based on a lesser amount as determined by an efficient salt setting.

For example, to regenerate 64K grains total capacity in a 2 cuft softener would require 36 lbs salt every regen cycle. Salt efficiency would then be 64K / 36 = only 1,777 grains per pound.

A 3 cuft softener (96K total capacity) can be programmed to deliver 72K grains per regen cycle when using only 24 lbs which is a significantly more efficient 3,000 grains per lb. A 2 cuft softener can deliver the same salt efficiency when using 16 lbs salt to regenerate 48K grains capacity.

With the high occupancy and water usage at all times of day, a twin tank softener would likely best meet your needs. There would be no concern over regeneration time or the amount of reserve capacity needed as the entire programmed capacity would be available for use with no soft water downtime while the depleted tank is regenerating.

Last edited:

Catalin

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks