Old valve seat on freeze proof silcock

Users who are viewing this thread

mepsteve

Reaction score
Does anyone recognize this model valve stem for a freeze proof hose bibb (It was installed in '89 or '90)? The white cap at the end of the stem is leaking and I cannot find a replacement seat. The only plumbing house local to me that has had a solution is offering me a custom machined full stem piece that will cost me probably $100. Is there any way to find a proper replacement for this old type of valve seat (it just snaps on instead of using a screw) or am I just stuck with replacing the entire bibb or forking out the cash for the custom piece?
Any advice is very welcome and appreciated!
Thanks!
Steve
20171014_125745.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
If there is access to the other end, replacing the hose bibb is easiest. I expect you have figured that already.

mepsteve

Reaction score
There are two of these hose bibbs on the house. One would be relatively easy to get to, it's just behind some gyp board, the other is problematic because it is behind the tiled shower wall.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you access the one, and find the fitting that the valve is screwed into is securely attached, I could consider unscrewing the existing faucet from the outside, and screwing in a whole new hose bibb of the same length. I am not a plumber, and I am not going to be responsible if you were to try that, and things go wrong. Things could have been done differently on each, although I think it more likely that the same technique was used on both.

So are you thinking of swapping the stem by the gypsum board with the dripping one behind the shower?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks