Old tub---what is this mechanism and how to fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuckles

Reaction score
As far as I know, our bathtub (shown in the sketch) is original to the house, c.1920. There is a handle you turn that goes through the wall and makes a rod go up and down. This is supposed to control whether the tub drains or not.

Well, the tub no longer drains and the handle has no effect. This is not a blockage due to hair; we've done the snake/Drano bit. As far as I can tell, the plug is no longer connected to the vertical rod, so pulling the rod up and down makes no difference. (I have disconnected it from the rotary mechanism, and it goes up and down freely with a lot of travel but it has no effect.)

Of course I can't see the plugging mechanism itself because it is inside the cast-iron piping.

Could someone please tell me what this kind of mechanism is called and/or give me a link to someplace where it is described? (It is not described in my home repair manuals.) I guess what I really want to know is what the options are for fixing it or replacing it with something appropriate for an old house bathroom.

I will get a plumber, I certainly can't handle cast-iron pipe disassembly, but I want to know what the good options are so I don't get stuck with a bad solution if suggested by the plumber.

Many thanks,

bathtub.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

It is called a "direct lift drain with concealed overflow". The tub does not have an overflow opening in the front wall so the water rises in the concealed tube until it reaches the top of the inner pipe at which time it "overflows" it and begins to flow down the drain to maintain a set water level in the tub. Usually that entire inner tube is lifted by the turning handle.

tub-drain-1920-dixon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks