Old tub drain leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

rsimoneaux

Reaction score
We discovered a leak at a joint where the tub drains. House was built in 60s and the drain lines under the slab are cast iron. Not sure what going on where the leak is.. Looks like maybe copper to cast iron. The pipe with the weird flat flange must be part of a trap - holding water. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

20210906_115529~2.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks like the nut below the tee has broken.
It might be possible to replace the tub drain and use a fernco type fitting to mate to the trap below. They make those for different pipe sizes, so maybe measure first, or pick up an assortment and bring back what you don't use.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is that even a p-trap down there? Or just a 90?
It kind of looks like there isn't really an attachment there. And it's in a hard spot to work on. Sorry about that.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
It isn't a trap. I'm wondering if it is lead that leads to a drum trap. It could be a SJ bend, but that would be an odd installation and I see no threads for a nut would screw onto.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks