Old Triangle Eljer Tank Needs New Bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

girldog

Reaction score
I have a 1985 Eljer triangle toilet. I need to replace the bowl and can't get an original bowl because the toilet has been discontinued. Can I use a new American Standard model 3717A.001 bowl as a replacement? An Eljer/American Standard tech person told me I couldn't do this because the new bowls are designed to use less water to flush than my original toilet. Does anyone have any insight on this or suggestions?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Just get yourself an American Standard triangle toilet while supplies last. Trying to keep the tank is going to cost you more in aggravation than it is worth. The big issue is that the new tanks and toilets have a 3" flush valve; your old tank is going to have a 2" flush valve.

girldog

Reaction score
Thank you for the insight on the flush valve size difference. I figured that may be the case but was trying to avoid having to buy a whole new toilet.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Thank you for the insight on the flush valve size difference. I figured that may be the case but was trying to avoid having to buy a whole new toilet.

If you do go the new toilet route, one piece of advice is to shop around. You would be stunned at how much prices vary from one plumbing supply place to the next on the exact same toilet. Like hundreds of dollars. So we recommend calling at least 5 places with the make and model and color in hand, so you can compare apples to apples.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks