old toilet flange lining?

Users who are viewing this thread

n2learning

Reaction score
Toilet cracked and now I have to replace it.
There appeared to be an old corroded metal toilet flange without hold down bolts.

Did the old toilet flanges have flexible lining? I am very confused because when I pull back this lining I am not seeing the cast iron pipe, instead I am seeing cement!

Am I haphazardly bending the cast iron pipe? If so, that's an awful pliable pipe.
Look at the images below.

I want to obvioulsy put in a new toilet flange.

Thoughts?

pipelining.jpg

pipelining2.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is a lead tube. These were used years ago before the flanges as we know them today were in use. The toilet had to be bolted or screwed into the floor. As I understand the process, the lead was attached to the cast iron using a process called wiping. The top of the lead tube was peened over and a wax ring used to complete the connection to the toilet. It was quite satisfactory but it did require a skilled plumber to install it. I'm sure some of the old pros can add a lot more accurate information than I.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If there's enough unbroken lead, you could get a new brass ring and fold the lead back over it. Probably can't, as the lead gets somewhat brittle and splits when old and you don't treat it with respect. If this is on a concrete floor, then it's a bigger deal. You may want to enlist a pro to do this. He may be able to salvage what's there. If not, your alternative is to crack some concrete back to a solid connection, and replace. If you can smooth the lead out without splits, you may be able to use a Fernco or Fluidmaster waxless seal since they slide down inside the pipe. But, the sides need to be nice and smooth and intact to provide a seal to the soft o-ring seal. A waxless, on a clean pipe work fine.

Gsalet

George the Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.PlumbingPro.com
I would not recommend the wax-less rings for lead, by pushing the ring into the pipe you can tear it. what floor is this on? it was very common for the whole closet bend to be lead... and it will leak eventually. So if possible replace it. Good Luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks