Old sump basins

Users who are viewing this thread

OneToughQuaker

Reaction score
Hello all,

Im helping out my elderly dad get the place in shape to sell. Large basement. Has some issues from poor drainage. Got an engineer and going through the recommended steps.
There are several sump pits only one has a pump in it. The are metal and rusted away.
What’s the fix? Is it as simple as dig the old one out, replace some gravel and add a new basin?
I’m already working on yard drainage. Basement stays dry with just the one pump, but it was pumping close to the wall making the yard soggy. I figure get one pumping on the dry side of the yard or even all the pumps. ‍♂️(digging a French drain on the wet side and running downspouts into it.). There are two more not pictured.
So be short, what’s the fix on those rusty old basins? Or leave them?

95AF052F-BE84-4F1C-8A45-5D1C75BD7194.jpeg
AED3074C-D528-42EE-AC97-156CC03DD6A7.jpeg
099908E1-C60A-4242-99A9-F4688DDEB894.jpeg

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you're going to use the round one, I would paint it. If you're going to use the square ones look up how to install a sump pump by bob Villa he has a good article. Which ever one you don't use back fill and cover with stones in case someone wants to use it later.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks