Old shower valve/handle ID (brand unknown)

Users who are viewing this thread

ruger9

Reaction score
My dad put these in, about 1965... I know he used American Standard in the other bathroom, as I found the rebuild kit for the tub mixer/valve and fixed it... but this is a 2-handle shower. No mixer, no tub. Just hot, cold, and a shower head. Trying to ID the brand, as I haven't been able to match this picture anywhere through online searches....

I'm hoping to replace the cartridges, and maybe the handles/trim as well. But at least the cartridges (assuming they are cartridges, I haven't removed them because, of course my dad didn't put shut off valves in)

Attachments

• shower.jpg
    shower.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 298

ruger9

Reaction score
Hey! Found a match at Home Depot, I think... honestly, I never looked because I figured these were so old that there was NO WAY they would still be readily available...

These handles do look extremely similar... of course, until I remove the cartridges I won't know, but... what is the likelyhood that this is indeed what I have? (remember, this is from around 1965)...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/PartsmasterPro-Tub-and-Shower-Rebuild-Kit-for-Sayco-58530/203052496?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-VF-PLA-D26P-Plumbing|&gclid=CJqRyvrA1c4CFcdehgodmJgODw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here's the 2-handle set I APPEAR to have...

https://www.ferguson.com/product/li...e=&network=g&gclid=CJ6u34bC1c4CFcQehgodbXMBHg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Sayco made many valves the LOOK similar but have different internals, and NOT always interchangeable, so you really have to take the old one out and compare it to the new one.

ruger9

Reaction score
Sayco made many valves the LOOK similar but have different internals, and NOT always interchangeable, so you really have to take the old one out and compare it to the new one.

Thanks for that, I didn't want to order anything until I got some kind of verification (or negative verification)... I was hoping to have the new parts there when I removed the old ones, as it is the only shower in the house....

Would Sayco be something I SHOULD be able to find at a local plumbing supply? So at least it's a 1-day operation?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks