Old Shower Demolition (Permanently capping drain and water lines) California

Users who are viewing this thread

jgalba1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I converted a tub to a shower and now need to demo the old shower. The question is what is the proper way to permanently cap the floor shower drain and the hot n cold water lines? Thanks!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Generally when we convert a tub to a shower we just move the drain and reroute the water lines. But in order to know the specifics of how to cap off any drain and water pipes, we would need to know what type of pipe we're dealing with. Whether the drain is ABS or PVC plastic, cast iron, steel, copper or if the water is galvanized steel, copper, PEX, CPVC, polyethylene. Each has their own way of being dealt with either temporarily under construction or permanently.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd cut the trap off and glue a cap on and leave the rest with vent through roof unless I was re roofing then I'd cap the vent off below roof where convenient or cut it down near trap arm
the galvanized I'd get of close to another fixture so you don't have a long dead run causing bacteria dead runs aren't good more than a foot or so shorter is better

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks