Old posting back in 1999 Still holds true

Users who are viewing this thread

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Do We or Don't We Use Chemicals? by Sylvan Tieger

With the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and other government agencies looking to monitor the use and fine chemical users and manufacturers. WHY would any REAL professional Sewer Drain / Plumbing company want to use such "chemicals"?
To get rid of Grease.

A water Jetter uses water clean natural water to flush away grease and other soft stoppages.

Water jetting scrubs the pipes to a like new condition giving full flow and not killing the good bacteria that breaks down biodegradable matter. Water jetting takes literally minutes not hours or even days (for God knows what chemicals are in this).

What are the long Term effects on the environment? Lots of systems depend on anaerobic germs
to work and they can be killed off if the chemicals are too harsh. Snaking roots eliminates them for over a year. Otherwise people could go out and buy Copper sulfide which will kill roots and it is Natural as it is found in nature.​

Most chemicals ARE flushed away as soon as the toilet is flushed. Chemicals are sold to help contractors whocannot make a living doing plumbing/drain cleaning as another source of income. If a drain is properly snaked (rodded) or Jetted it can run for years with out anymore maintenace. Commerical grease traps BY code must be cleaned out weekly as per health department (NY) regulations. Adding chemicals to a waste system without knowing who these chemicals may come into contact with, who may or may not have an allergy to it. With lots of unknown as to what "chemical" reactions may occur if someone throws another chemical in such as Lye or bleach. Suppose these chemicals get into the water table and someone dies from some type of reaction.

Using State of the art cleaning systems today without chemicals is the prudent thing to do in MY humble opinion. Using safe CLEAN water to remove silt/grease/soap scum build up is the right thing to do. To remove roots, an electric snake with cutting heads works wonders and the results are immediate, not waiting around for the roots to die in several weeks.

Besides if the chemicals CAN KILL ROOTS what about children, pets or anything else that comes into contact with this?

All major manufacturer of chemicals. I am sure if the need arises THESE big corporations with their VAST resources could just as easily produce vast quantities of any chemical a PROFESSIONAL plumber would ever want. Plus these big corporations have the Legal eagles behind them when a product liability lawsuit is forthcoming. Remember when PVC was the promised new piping and then people died from cancers from the glues and primers?

Or the smoke from burning PVC? How about that fantastic ASBESTOS for fire proofing. Yes chemicals have their place BUT if clean fresh water and snaking a line every few years can do it why risk the chemicals?

To peddle something that legitimate plumbers have not had to resort to all these years why introduce something that may or may not come back to haunt us?

sylvan-snaking-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Where did you find the old posting? I notice that masterplumbers isn't up right now.

This one is from 1999 too.

The program that I have been running for service work and construction plumbing is put out by a small firm in Yakima Washington. With this program, I have been able to replace most of my techs and plumbers with smart drones. The advantages of the smart drones, is their persistence on any plumbing problem. Boredom is not a problem, and they are always ready to work on Monday morning. It used to be that large jobs with heavy cast iron pipe would wear down the men. Excessive drilling and lifting of heavy pipes would reduce most of a crew to running copper until they recovered, leaving the hardest work for me.

The software for the thinking ability of the drones was developed with the help of Bud Hardman, Rod Stine and Dale Peck Many of their time saving moves were incorporated into the logic scripts. Thousands of plumbing situations are programmed into each one, constituting the equivalent experience of many master plumbers. Holes through studs are straight and level. Inspectors comment on the clean workman like jobs. You will never see a drone resort to adding up fixture units on a napkin. But wait!

Folks,
I\'ve just received news that the Yakima smart plumbing drones have a glitch in the program that is forcing a recall. They blame some of the problems on Rod Stine\'s sense of fairness somehow getting into the logic loops. In last weeks WTO they went berserk, pushing dumpsters into the street and painting,

"We do want breaks!
And we\'ll do what it takes
Pay us more dollars
Or we\'re sure to holler!"

on the sides of the dumpsters.

Do you suppose this is Bud\'s programing influence?

In spite of their master plumbing programing, the Inspectors were noticing plumbing that was serious
" Not to code!"

When efforts to patch in SylvanLMP programming as a fix, they then went on a water heater installation rampage, redoing all of the illegal water heaters in the downtown core to strict code compliance. This forced the downtown merchants to pay large amounts of their reestablished business income this week, to water heater plumbing repairs.

When Clinton was asked whether drones would be included in health care talks, he merely snorted and said "Not on my watch!"

Jesse Jackson rushed to the aid of smart drones everywhere and offered to be arrested, but the police were no longer arresting anyone.

Finally on rain slicked streets, an out of control Brinks van slid through an intersection and took out the remaining drones, leaving them in a heap of scrap metal. Thus ending for now the saga of the plumbing smart drones.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Wednesday I will be talking another 8 Hrs of CEU

Also the plumbing code enforcement officials randomly inspected over 21 of my on going and past jobs

Thankfully not a single job had any violations in plumbing - gas fitting or sprinklers ( fire suppression) but in many cases the disciplinary committee has either fined or suspended LMP's from doing any more work

I think I must have been doing something right as all of my decades in plumbing not a single violation except one for a water meter that did not have pre drilled holes for the wire ( tag) and that was back in 1982 and it was a $1,700 fine from the DEP

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
you do not look old enough to have "decades" of plumbing. WHY were they reinspecting the jobs? Usually that was only done when the inspectors were "on the take" and selling green tags.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Thank you HJ

I stated plumbing when I was 17 -20 Yrs old in the navy as a boiler tender 1965 -1968

In August 1968 I started working for a non union plbg contractor and in 1969 I passed the entrance exams to become an apprentice in plumbers local 2 for a 10,000 OJT and 744 hours classroom studies codes etc

To take the 4 part masters exam I had to prove I had 10 years working experience

The reason for RE inspections is because of damn fools who pimp (cover up) non licensed morons with either did not actually employ the workers or they just filed their jobs and let incompetent people do the actual work

When they jailed 18 plumbing inspectors decades ago master plumbers could not get any jobs inspected in a timely manner so the NYC bldg dept and mayor (Rudy) authorized master plumbers not only to do the actual but self certification of gas, plumbing ,fire suppression.

Then unscrupulous low lives who thought they could get away without doing proper work were caught as the city did require notice of inspections and they may or may not show up

These imbeciles called for gas inspections or roughing inspection with the walls already up or no gauge on the gas piping and they were responsible for the crack down and reinspections

Plumbers had their licenses revoked as well as engineers and architects who figured "why do it right if no one will ever see"

The gas explosion in Manhattan was a wake up call for the utility to also do an inspection as well as the building department

I do residential, commercial, institutional and industrial plumbing and completed a fire suppression job on a the 86th floor of a building

Because of the liability now involved I call for a physical inspection on all my work as I like hearing the inspectors saying "nice job" and also they witnessed everything is up to code in case situation ever arises

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_East_Village_gas_explosion

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks