Old out faucet leak

Users who are viewing this thread

ellaryk

Reaction score
My house was built in 1968. The outdoor faucet is not frost free. It comes straight out of the wall with the handle at the end and the spigot down at a 45 degree angle with a hex nut shape as part of the casting about two inches from the handle end. See attached photo.
It leaks from the handle when the faucet is on. there is no leak, as you can see from the photo, when the faucet is off.
What do I need to do?
CIMG4645.jpg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think that is a frost free faucet. You may be able to tighten the packing nut and stop the leak. More than likely the packing washer is bad and needs to be replaced. To remove it, first turn off your water. Then you can remove the handle. You may need to put the handle back on after you remove the packing nut so you can pull everything out. The big hex nut is the packing nut and should unscrew but it may be reverse thread. Here is a link to a similar style wall hydrant. I have no idea what brand you have but it looks like Prier. It sorta looks like I can see Prier in the paint.

http://www.griggindustries.com/page313.html

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I found this in the link below. You should be able to find what ever you need in these links. Looks like good info:

Question 1: When the water is running there is water leaking from behind the handle.
Answer 1. This is a common maintenance occurrence for any packed valve of any brand or manufacture. It is overcome by simply tightening the packing nut with a crescent wrench. This will force the packing tighter around the stem to eliminate leakage.
Occasionally, the packing will need to be replaced if the packing nut has been repeatedly tightened.
The parts required for this is a C-134KT-803 Packing Kit

http://www.prier.com/products/residential-hydrants/c-134-prier-original-design.html

http://www.accentshopping.com/product.asp?P_ID=153720

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
#1 remove handle
#2 remove big packing nut making sure to keep faucet handle off
#3 take a appox. 6" piece of teflon tape twirl between you fingers till it becomes a 6" thread
#4 wrap around faucet stem clockwise
#5 reinstall packing nut being sure not to over tighten test this by opening faucet a little bit and slowly tighten packing nut till water stop leaking out
#6 reinstall handle

their you are good for another 25 years or so

ellaryk

Reaction score
Thanks. But removing the handle is the hard part. The screw won't budge. I've been spraying it with PB. Do you have any tricks for loosening it? Or can the Teflon tape be installed without removing the handle?

#1 remove handle
#2 remove big packing nut making sure to keep faucet handle off
#3 take a appox. 6" piece of teflon tape twirl between you fingers till it becomes a 6" thread
#4 wrap around faucet stem clockwise
#5 reinstall packing nut being sure not to over tighten test this by opening faucet a little bit and slowly tighten packing nut till water stop leaking out
#6 reinstall handle

their you are good for another 25 years or so

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks