Old moen shower trim...help needed!

Users who are viewing this thread

kmj

Reaction score
I am in the process of updating my bathroom. I took apart the shower trim, threw it out, and have found myself to be in a bind! After a bit of research, I was able to identify the old valve as a MOEN. After reading a bunch of forums on this site, I am starting to feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am hoping someone can tell me, by looking at the pictures, what I need to purchase to make this work. Also, do I need to take any of the rest of this out? I had a plumber to the house yesterday and he wasn't able to help. At this point, I am good with any trim that will work. My house was built in 1973 and they plumbed the shower on the outside wall. No way to get to it without destroying the existing shower.

From other forums on this site, it looks like I would need to purchase a MOEN TL473 and a replacement valve 1225?? Can I take out the old valve without opening up the shower wall?

I really appreciate any guidance...more details the better!

Attachments

• IMG_5212.jpg
    IMG_5212.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 94

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
That sleeve should pull off. You'll need a good puller after that. The best puller is the Ona moen puller. If you search it there's a video of the people who make the puller using it in different situations. Someone else might be batter at yelling what trim to get. I don't think the trim is anything special.

In the future don't throw anything away until your 100 percent complete with the project, that's just a general rule I try to live by as one who does many many projects.

Reactions: kmj

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is a really good post in this forum on moen catridges I learned a trick myself and made easy work for me. cartridge broke no problem Ive got my own kit with a Tap and and proper bolts to extract a broken moen valve cartridge

Reactions: kmj
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks