Old Kohler 304 shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've never seen this old valve before. Someone mentioned that Kohler parts will work for it.

gp876851-old-valve.jpg

kohler-304-old.jpg

An older model brass Kohler valve that stopped functioning properly. (see photo) On the Kohler support website, it is called the "Early Pressure Balancing Valve (No Specific Model Number)" and has these identifying characteristics: -All brass mixer cap and valve body. -Mixer cap has 2 screws that secure it to the valve body. -The brass, round, splined stem rotates clockwise to turn on. -Sometimes referred to as "old 304" valve was able to fix this on my own without the need of a plumber. I followed a video on YouTube called "DIY - Fixing a shower faucet that only provides hot water (Kohler faucet)"One helpful bit of advice, shove a curved paper plate underneath the old valve you intend to remove. Water will come out as you remove it, but it will cascade down the plate instead of inside your tub wall. Use a bucket to catch the dripping for easy cleanup. "From a review"

kohler-old-304.jpg

kohler-304-old-2.jpg

gp876851-parts.jpg

kohler-old-304.jpg

Last edited:

Sydd

Reaction score
Hi! Really glad to have found this thread as I have this exact shower valve in my shower. It recently has been unable to deliver hot water (luke warm at best) and it before was able to. All other faucets provide normal hot water.

So, after some learning, it is the shower cartridge/mixing valve. Is this something I can clean/repair? If so any tips?

If cleaning/repair doesn't fix it, judging by the OP pic I would need to replace it with this? https://www.amazon.com/Kohler-GP876851-Rite-Temp-Mixer-Pressure-Balancing/dp/B06XGLQT3R?th=1

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not an expert in these, but I think you're correct. Might be better dealing directly with Kohler for these.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks