Old Kohler 2-Handle Bath Valve Seat

Users who are viewing this thread

SimonJ

Reaction score
Trying to stop a leak in our shower. Older, Kohler [maybe Trend?]. Have it down from flowing to a drip with a domed washer.
I know it's the seat. It's torn up the end of the stem - not just the washer - but I don't see the usual seat in there.

If it's an unreplaceable seat, how could I fix it? It has a nick in it [at the top], so I don't think a smoothing tool would help.

If that is the remains of a seat, how in the world would I get it out?

seat.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes it's time to open the wall a bit and replace with something that meets current plumbing codes, and is much nicer to use. The new valves are pressure balanced so that it holds the temperatures evenly when someone in the home is playing with faucets and flushing toilets.
From the picture, I don't see how that would be repaired. A picture of the handles sometimes helps us figure out what valve we're looking at. They do make repair plates to make a two or three handle replacement look nice.

SimonJ

Reaction score
I just want it to not leak, especially not flowing. We're doing the bath a bit at a time, but not ready to replace the valve body right now.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
use a seat wrench, lefty loosey . Assuming its removeable, take picture of stems as well call Kohler but it looks replaceable (the seat)

SimonJ

Reaction score
There's nothing to grip. It's just a round hole. A seat wrench is out of the question. Maybe tapping it out with a flat head... I just don't know

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks not to be round contact Kohler you might find out from them

Last edited by a moderator:

William S.

Reaction score
They do make repair plates to make a two or three handle replacement look nice.

This is helpful to know. Doing a web search I came across "Smitty plate". Looks good. I've been keeping Savoy tub/shower faucets in two bathrooms going for years -- it's good to know that a valve body upgrade may not need to involve re-tiling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks