Old kitchen sink plumbing mess - how to update?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tssmith11

Reaction score
Okay so I'm hoping to get some advice on how to clean up this 1970s kitchen plumbing. There appear to be a few weird things going on here, is there anything wrong with the current setup that I should address?

Additional Questions:
1. Shouldnt Dishwasher drain should have high loop and connect to disposal? What do I do with unused stub if I move dishwasher drain?
2. Why are there 2 stubs on top of each other? Both appear to go horizontal behind wall but not 100% sure
3. How can I swap to a new single drain sink? The sink has one drain on the right side and is 1" deeper than current drain. This would move disposal directly in front of both stubs, should this be avoided?

Happy to take measurements or provide more pictures and info.

Attachments

• 20220516_122147.jpg
    20220516_122147.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 20220516_122316.jpg
    20220516_122316.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 20220516_123514.jpg
    20220516_123514.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 144

Tssmith11

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. To be honest I'm not overly concerned about the air gap since the 2022 IPC allows for the high loop. I plan to fix this setup to get a good high loop secured to the bottom of the counter.

Any input regarding the double trap situation and how I could simplify to just use one?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any input regarding the double trap situation and how I could simplify to just use one?
You could install a Wye Branch Tail Piece between the baffle tee and the upper trap or a direct connect WBTP on the basket strainer.

Tssmith11

Reaction score
You could install a Wye Branch Tail Piece between the baffle tee and the upper trap or a direct connect WBTP on the basket strainer.
Wouldn't it be easier to connect the dishwasher drain to the disposal? What should I do with the unused stub - just cap it?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be easier to connect the dishwasher drain to the disposal? What should I do with the unused stub - just cap it?
Sure.. If you feel like removing the disposer.. knocking out the plug.. fishing out the plug from a goopy disposer. I think its easier to insert a direct connect wye.. but i only do this for a living.

And yes, you can get a threaded cap for the trap adapter or cut it off and reem out the fitting and put in a proper cleanout fitting with threaded plug.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I just did this for my brother in Hoquiam. New disposer and instead of knocking the plug out, added the dishwasher branch tailpiece. Way better, now if the disposer ever gets removed or replaced, it will be clean and simple,

Tssmith11

Reaction score
Here I was thinking something like knocking out the disposal plug should be easy.. thanks for the clarification.

Would you guys try to put in a single basin sink with the drain right in front of both these stubs? Or is it going to be too much hassle trying to route something from the disposal like that?

Last edited:

Skeezix

Reaction score
I never could understand why there are two drains into the wall (one from the dishwasher and one from the GD and sink) that feed into a single pipe. Can someone please 'splain it to me???

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I never could understand why there are two drains into the wall (one from the dishwasher and one from the GD and sink) that feed into a single pipe. Can someone please 'splain it to me???
Someone thought it was a good idea. I've installed an individual trap for dishwashers all the time in commercial tenant improvement work. Its much easier (less time) to install 7/8 dishwasher tube straight down into an 1.25" trap adapter. What they did is not wrong, and hard to second guess.

Tssmith11

Reaction score
The top one is a drain and the lower one a cleanout. SOMEONE, incorrectly, decided to make them both drains.
You can see in the second picture that the lower drain runs horizontally (to the right) behind the wall. Would a clean out still be oriented this way?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks