Users who are viewing this thread

JT and the DOG

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm a first time poster here, but I have been coming to the site for a couple of years now.

My house (in Nebraska) came with a basin for the washing machine drain. See picture #1:

That isn't terribly problematic, except that the basin empties into what seems to be a faulty floor drain. The floor drain likes to overflow, either due to being clogged or not being vented properly. I've tried all of the standard fixes, plus a few "creative" ones I dreamed up. There doesn't seem to be a cleanout for this drain, just like every other fixture that came with the house. The cleanout in the stack doesn't seem to reach back to this floor drain. Frankly, I have no idea where this thing drains and that kind of scares me.

Fixing a floor drain would probably be very expensive, and I'm not crazy about this setup anyway. However, my waste stack is conveniently located nearby. See picture #2.

I want to install a standpipe in the stack. I think my cleanout is somewhat awkwardly placed for this. See picture #3. It's a little high on the stack. I believe the pump on the washer should be able to overcome this. A standard solution would be picture #4, perhaps with a shorter standpipe.

If I had a high efficiency washer, I'd probably just install the standpipe and be done with it. However, I can't help but think that my basin is somehow necessary for this washing machine. If I were to elevate it and shorten the standpipe, I think it would siphon just fine. See Picture #5.

Which one should I choose? Should I modify it from my diagrams?

Any thoughts or guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

jt-dog-01.jpg

jt-dog-02.jpg

jt-dog-03.jpg

jt-dog-04.jpg

jt-dog-05.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks