Old faucet has flat mounting nuts - how to remove?

Users who are viewing this thread

Fragille Bill

Reaction score
My bathroom faucet is a Delta/Delex widespread installed in the late 70's (photo attached). It works fine but I would like to replace it if I can remove it. The issue is the hexagonal mounting nuts on the underside. They are almost flat, no more than 1/8 of an inch deep (photo attached). There is very little edge to grab with a basin wrench or any other type of wrench. I'm guessing they were installed with a special wrench that came with the faucet. I have not started the project yet and want to be reasonably sure I can remove the nuts before I start. Does anyone on this forum have experience removing mounting nuts such as these? If so, what wrench did you use? Thank you!

delta one.jpg

delta two.jpg

Attachments

• delta one.jpg
    delta one.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 107
  • delta two.jpg
    delta two.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited by a moderator:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Haha, I remember thinking "what a piss-poor design" when they came out.
I think that faucet came with a thin metal fixed opening basin type wrench. It was crap to use.

Fragille Bill

Reaction score
Haha, I remember thinking "what a piss-poor design" when they came out.
I think that faucet came with a thin metal fixed opening basin type wrench. It was crap to use.
That's what I figured. I sent this question to Delta a couple days ago but have not yet received a response. I've seen a Husky adjustable plumbers' wrench that might work, but I can't try the wrench without removing the copper tubing supply lines first. Maybe I could get it out from the top with an angle grinder.
1646502333812.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks