OLD Delta Tub Spout Divertor Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Trouthead

Reaction score
Simple job or so I thought it should be. Delta tub spout with the pull up shower divertor. Circa 1980. So pushing 40 years old. Has the hole under the spout that should have set screw of some type inside. No sign of any set screw, either allen or slotted. Used a flashlight and mirror and I can't see anything inside the hole other than the copper pipe with now shiny marks on it from the screwdriver. Could Delta spouts of this era have used one casting for screw on and the same casting for the set screw type? Is it possible that even though there is a set screw hole I have a screw on spout. I am hesitant to really twist on the spout, but do feel like this is a job I should not have to call my plumber for. Is it possible to have a set screw hole with a screw on spout? Thanks.

Trouthead

Reaction score
By hand I couldn't get this spout to move. With a big set of channel locks no problem. Inside was what appears to be the original Delta threaded adapter sweated onto the stub of the pipe. Looks like a run to the hardware store for a new Delta spout this week and a five minute job. More worry than needed for a simple job.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sometimes, the end of the spout gets some caulk up against the tile...that can make it a bear to unscrew. There's no need for any tape or pipe dope on the threads, either...the o-ring is what seals it from leaking.

Trouthead

Reaction score
More than a five minute job. The threaded fitting had to be sweated off, easy. The copper pipe did not need to be cut, good because my pipe cutter's cutting wheel looks pretty dull. The adapter needed to be sweated on. It took longer to look for my lead free solder, (no wheres to be found), and go to the plumbers to get more, than it took to finish the job. No leaks and full water diversion to the shower head.

Trouthead

Reaction score
That is what I had hoped for. But.... the 1/2 inch pipe that stuck out of the tub wall was 3 inches. At the end of that 1/2 inch copper pipe was a copper threaded fitting. It did match up with the plastic threads on the end of the new spout, but it would have made the spout stick out a few inches from the wall. It there was another way to do it I wish someone would have told me. The directions on the packaging seemed to only have two ways of doing it. But then again I am not a plumber which is why I asked for advice. Though about cutting the copper pipe shorter and putting the threaded fitting on shorter, but didn't want to get that close to the fiberglass tub surround with a torch. Maybe a shark bit fitting of some sort would have worked.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That must have been a "male adapter" NOT a "Delta spout adapter". If you use a Sharkbite, forget about EVER unscrewing the spout because the Sharkbite will rotate LONG before the spout thread unscrews. If you get a Delta spout with ITS adapter, I have heard, (but never seen one), that they have a set screw to secure it to the tubing.

Trouthead

Reaction score
It was a male adapter. There is a Delta spout adapter that has a set screw that is an extra cost item. Sweating was the way to go as the sweat adapter comes included.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Delta tub spout adapter is quite flexible, and is the better way to install one of their spouts (IMHO). It's a bit more flexible, and a snap to replace with a new one later on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks