Old Crane overflow cover & lever, how to remove?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kenneth Thomas

Reaction score
IMG_20180619_201451.jpg

Cannot figure out how to remove this cover (to access / repair mechanism behind; drain is getting slower & slower, though far from critical).

The hole in the side of the lever seem to access where a lockscrew would be, but there does not appear to be a screw there-- it's just another round hole towards the center attachment, with no apparent head that could be turned. (Sorry, I tried but failed to get a focused picture of it -- could be rusted or possibly someone stripped it).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_20180619_201503.jpg
    IMG_20180619_201503.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 672
  • IMG_20180619_201528.jpg
    IMG_20180619_201528.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 695
Last edited by a moderator:

DTAZ

Reaction score
It's likely that the set screw for the handle was lost at some point and corrosion is holding the handle on. I would gently rock the handle (in and out toward the side of the tub) and see if there is any play. It may simply come off with a bit of persistent wiggling. If it's really seized on there you may need to resort to more aggressive measures.

Anna B.

Reaction score
Cannot figure out how to remove this cover (to access / repair mechanism behind; drain is getting slower & slower, though far from critical).

The hole in the side of the lever seem to access where a lockscrew would be, but there does not appear to be a screw there-- it's just another round hole towards the center attachment, with no apparent head that could be turned. (Sorry, I tried but failed to get a focused picture of it -- could be rusted or possibly someone stripped it).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hi there. Did you ever figure out how to remove your Crane overflow plate? Mine looks identical to yours and we can't figure out how to get it off. It sounds like something is amiss inside and the tub isn't draining properly. Thank you

Ellen Trover

Reaction score
It's likely that the set screw for the handle was lost at some point and corrosion is holding the handle on. I would gently rock the handle (in and out toward the side of the tub) and see if there is any play. It may simply come off with a bit of persistent wiggling. If it's really seized on there you may need to resort to more aggressive measures.

I am also trying to take one off & can't. I'm almost desperate enough to saw through the screw post.

Blurred Homeowner

Reaction score
After seeing this thread and similar threads for the 1,000th time while trying to remove my Crane overflow plate, I thought I'd make an account and post the solution to the problem so that none of us have to go through this again.

The plate is screwed into the tub. It's similar to old Kohler overflow plates (which is where I found the solution). I used two screwdrivers on each side of the "grill" of the plate, pushed in through the holes to go behind the plate. This forms an "H". Then I turned counter-clockwise until the plate started to unscrew. After a little bit you can hand untighten. Beware that everything is connected to linkage up there, so you need to figure out how to get it completely off and out safely, but at least this will give you a start.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks