Old chlorine injection system

Users who are viewing this thread

Leon1967

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Looking for some advice on removal and reconstruction...I have a drilled well approx 160' deep with a submersible pump about 70' feet from where it enters the basement. It then goes to a 62 gallon pressure tank ( pressure switch set at 40/60) and I make approx 7.5 gal/min at tank.From there it hits an 80 or 100 gal chlorine retention tank ( cl system not in use for years)and then to a ge water softener.
So my question is twofold..pressure in house is not great( I haven't measured at taps) but def could be better, would like to remove retention tank since I'm gonna go with a new softener/iron/ h2s removal system , does retention tank help in terms of water storage or is it a massive pressure drop? Would a booster pump before the pressure tank be a good idea?
Second does anyone have experience with the media guard kdf85 media? Is it good system for iron and sulfide removal?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Reach4

Reaction score
does retention tank help in terms of water storage or is it a massive pressure drop?
Neither.
Would a booster pump before the pressure tank be a good idea?
No.

I suggest you measure the water pressure during water use at one or more places later in the system. A pressure gauge with a garden hose thread can attach many places. Laundry hookup, laundry tub, outside hose bib, water heater drain.

Also see the gauge at the pressure tank. See what drop is happening when you use water.. Do you have a cartridge filter in your system?

I suggest that you try this search in the water softener forum https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/water-softener-forum-questions-and-answers.22/:
media guard kdf85 or just kdf85

Leon1967

Reaction score
Hi,
No cartridge filter. Contemplated one, but haven't installed. I will measure with pressure gauge. Any ideas about the retention tank? With our setup is it actually functioning as a xtra reservoir or could it be removed?
Thx

Neither.

No.

I suggest you measure the water pressure during water use at one or more places later in the system. A pressure gauge with a garden hose thread can attach many places. Laundry hookup, laundry tub, outside hose bib, water heater drain.

Also see the gauge at the pressure tank. See what drop is happening when you use water.. Do you have a cartridge filter in your system?

I suggest that you try this search in the water softener forum https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/water-softener-forum-questions-and-answers.22/:
media guard kdf85 or just kdf85

Reach4

Reaction score
Any ideas about the retention tank? With our setup is it actually functioning as a xtra reservoir or could it be removed?
It is not going to serve as a reservoir for normal use, but maybe it could serve as a supply during a power outage. Normally it will be full of water, but not air.

It is possible that some sediment could settle out before the KT. Does your retention tank have a drain that could let you drain sediment? If you decided to inject some peroxide in the future, maybe the contact tank would enhance that.

My comments are not based on experience.

Leon1967

Reaction score
Good idea on the drain, I haven't thought of that. Probably would benefit from a drain and flush. Will advise on result. Thx

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks