Old Cast Iron Coupler Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Tru483

Reaction score
I am in the middle of taking out a section of old cast iron radiant heating pipe (1 inch cast) and putting oxygen barrier pex in its' place. I have one section of cast that sticks a couple inches below the rafter in the basement that leads to the second floors heating system. I would like to have this pipe raised above the rafters so I can drywall the hallway in the basement. I know the correct way of doing this is to take the pipe out entirely and have it cut and rethreaded. I am unable to do this because it would involve ripping out the new floors in the 2nd floor of the house. Could I cut the pipe and use a coupler to get the results I need? Usually 16 PSI run through the system and I don't foresee any immediate issues with this.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20191006_155712.jpg
    20191006_155712.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 142

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Not a problem

We had the same situation in a nursing home and I was about to cut the pipe and try to thread it in place but my new employee said "that's old school" he went to the van and took out a MEGA press fitting and made the connection

I was very skeptical until we turned the steam back on

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect Tru483 was thinking of a Dresser coupling or similar.
galvanized-mueller-global-galvanized-fittings-160-004hc-64_145.jpg

That MEGA press video was impressive.

Tru483

Reaction score
Was actually gonna use a rubber coupler.

Attachments

• 2019-10-06 18.06.56.jpg
    2019-10-06 18.06.56.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 161

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I lost a very good account in the 1980's when a 2" hot water riser was leaking. I sent this low life to make repairs as I was not available

This stumblebum used a 2" dresser coupling rather then braze the split on the brass riser

That night the dresser blew and caused a major leak destroying 3 apartments below

IF someone is even considering using one on more then 3 PSI I would strongly suggest use a riser clamp above it and below BUT the only time I use a dresser now is the gas code requires an insulated dresser on the gas main

Attachments

• Gasmeters.JPG
    Gasmeters.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 151
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks