Old Brass faucets with straight 1/2" NST male threads - where to find nuts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Packard V8

Reaction score
I've done an extensive internet search and searched the forum here and haven't found an answer to this conundrum.

Remodeling a 150-year-old farmhouse and finding a problem with the old brass lavatory faucets. They have a straight 1/2" NST dual purpose bottom thread. The 14 TPI long threaded portion is used to clamp an iron spacer to the basin by a brass hex nut. Missing three of the four hex clamping nuts.

The supply connections were missing when we got the basin, but it appears it would have been a copper line with a steeply tapered rubber cone and a brass compression nut. Does all the above sound logical?

Now here's the problem. The current production 1/2" brass compression nuts I have are a very loose fit on two of the faucets and won't even hold on the other two, which are for some reason a few thou smaller diameter.

All suggestions and links to suppliers of antique faucet parts appreciated.

jack vines

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah these are still used pretty regularly. I think Moen faucets have them. Not sure why your calling it a compression nut, that could be the problem.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yeah these are still used pretty regularly. I think Moen faucets have them. Not sure why your calling it a compression nut, that could be the problem.
Right, not compression nuts, these would have straight threads. FIP

supply-line-sizes-terrylove-01.jpg

Packard V8

Reaction score
Thanks. I found the 1/2" pipe lock nuts easily.

However, the 1/2" FIP supply line absolutely, positively will not thread onto this 1/2" straight faucet.

To add to the confusion, the homeowner bought another pair of reproduction faucets off the internet. They are a reasonably good copy, until one looks closely For whatever reason, they used a 14 TPI thread, but one which tapers from .650" up to .670", where the original is straight .743" for the entire 1.75" threaded length. Thus, the 1/2" pipe lock nuts drop on without touching the threads.
Any suggestion as to what threads I'm looking at on the repops?

jack vines

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks