Old American Standard push pull faucet

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by michealr, Sep 14, 2006.

  1. michealr

    michealr New Member

    Sep 14, 2006
    I have an old American Standard faucet in my bathtub/shower that I think is a N1030 series push pull (circa 1960) that I am trying to remove. Is there any way to remove it from the front? It looks like I will have to go in through the wall behind it but I hope not. The problem is that I can't get the handle off and without doing that there's no way to get it out from the front. Any suggestions? TIA....Mike
  2. michealr

    michealr New Member

    Sep 14, 2006

    Here is a picture.

    Attached Files:

  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement


    Attached Files:

  4. Master Plumber Mark

    Master Plumber Mark Master Plumber

    Feb 6, 2005
    Sensitivity trainer.. plumber of mens souls
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
    american standard junk

    American standard is junk but you should
    be able to get that handle off somehow.....

    either the easy way or the hard way.....

    as long as you can get the water off in behind the plate

    anything goes....

    that does not look all that old

    if all else fails I have taken a turbo torch and melted them
    off before.....

    of course thats getting a littel radical....
  5. Verdeboy

    Verdeboy In the Trades

    Jun 12, 2006
    It sure looks like there is a large black cap on the handle, or is that an optical illusion? You could also unscrew the two backer plate screws and pull the backer plate forward to see if there is a hidden set screw. If there really is no screw, and you don't care about re-using the handle, I would just pull the handle off, or break it off with a channel locks. Do you have a leak? Why do you want to remove the handle? Make sure you turn the water off before working on this.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  6. michealr

    michealr New Member

    Sep 14, 2006

    I thank you both for your replies. I don't know about junk Mark, this faucet is at least 40 years old with constant daily use. But you and Verdeboy are right, I may have to resort to force. The reason I need to replace it is because the handle is broken off. I just propped it up for the picture. That's not a cap on the handle, it's all one piece with no seams and when you take the screws out, the plate slides forward on a sleeve around the stem (I assume), but won't slide past the handle. Anyone else have any ideas?
  7. plumber1

    plumber1 Plumber

    Aug 7, 2005
    Where do you see American Standard on the faucet?

    Guess my minds failing me now.........
  8. Mikey

    Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

    Nov 8, 2005
    Hansville, Washington
    What are those 3 little dots around the mysterious black thing? They look like holes for a spanner wrench of some kind.
  9. michealr

    michealr New Member

    Sep 14, 2006
    Problem solved

    After getting into a contortionists position and almost having to stand on my head, I found that by turning faucet full on, i.e. tipping the top of the cap back and the bottom out, I could see a small set screw holding the handle in place. I hope this will help anyone else with a similar problem as I was ready to forcefully tear it off which probably would have ruined the faucet. Now all I have to do if find a handle. It says American Standard on the bottom of the wall plate. Anyone know where I can get one that will work?
Similar Threads: American Standard
Forum Title Date
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog American Standard Reliant Ultra-Mix series 1363 identification & Part #'s Jun 12, 2017
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog American Standard Aquarian bath shower valve Mar 30, 2017
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Help identify this American Standard Valve Trim Jul 18, 2016
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog American Standard shower handle removal Jun 27, 2016
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog American Standard Aquarian Valve New Handle Feb 24, 2015

Share This Page