Old 2" Well - Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

viperar15

Reaction score
So I have an old 2" well at my house, installed in 1976 (pre-me and pre-me owning this house). I have lived here now 10 years. Have not had any problems (thank goodness!).

The 2" well is about 206' Deep.
It uses an old Shetler Pump (no longer in business, was built in Clio, MI).

Being this deep, I am told it is a deep well setup. Which seems different the any deep well setup I see today.

Going into the pump is about a 2" or 3" black flexible like tubing.... and inside that pipe is another pipe. So one is the water coming into the pump and the other is water pushed down the well for pumping.

I understand how the bigger 4 and 5" wells work with a 2 pipe system, but... how the heck does a system like this work with a 2" well.... and how does this pipe inside the pipe work/attach to the well? I haven't been able to find any images/documentation, etc online for a well like this. So... any help would be awesome in understanding this well.

Reason I am asking is that I would like to look at possibly replacing this pump with a better pump to get better water pressure in the house (though... I have thought about using a cycle stop valve as well.). If I replace the pump and with how old the well is... it probably doesn't make much sense to replace the pump if I don't replace the foot (assuming that after all these years, it may be slowly plugging up... though for the most part... I believe that I do get good pressure while the pump is running.

Thoughts? Ideas? Help? Images for how this is hooked up? etc, etc, etc!

Thank you!
-Shaun

viperar15

Reaction score
so... that is getting me in the right direction. starting to make sense. though I don't fully understand how I can attach a pipe inside of a pipe horizontally to a vertical well. I did find by chance, the patent document for the Shetler Pumps (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4304526.pdf)

Attached in the image of what I understand to have. So it looks like the head of my well is underground, with a vertical to horizontal adapter (and more 2" pipe coming above ground), with a larger horizontal 2" pipe outside, and smaller 1.25" pipe inside of it... going to to pump.

Has anyone ever seen this? Is there a pump out there today that can handle this type of hookup? Is it even worth messing around with?

Attachments

• shetler.png
    shetler.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 176

viperar15

Reaction score
So I think I might finally be on to something here... though I won't be able to confirm till it warms up here in michigan and I do some digging... but...

From what I have been digging through in the vast of the internet, I believe I have the PJ Single Pipe Pitless Spool setup from Baker Water Systems.

You can see how the pressure pipe encases the suction pipe.

Attachments

• pj.png
    pj.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 180
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks