"old" 1500 Series Delta Shower Faucet/Trim Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

knscarlato

Reaction score
Hello All!

I am in need of hep! I am very new to this type of project, so bare with in my attempt to explain myself. I am looking to replace my current shower handle with something more up to date. I believe the current model is the Delta 1500 or Delta 1700, but not quite sure. At this point, I do not want to have to replace the entire valve, just the handle and plate behind it. What are my options at this point? Do I need to get some sort of converter? or are there models out there now that will fit this type of valve? ANY info on this would be a great help!

DSC_0078.jpg
DSC_0082.jpg
DSC_0085.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are lots of choices if it's a 1700 series. Delta sells their trim kits with a cartridge, and that is sold separately from the rough-in valve (unless you buy it at a big-box store, where they package them together). If you go to their website, you should be able to identify it, and then, it's just pick something you like in that series.

delta-temp-control.jpg

knscarlato

Reaction score
I am also looking to do the same thing with the handle on the tub....

DSC_0067.jpg
DSC_0110.jpg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use the delta web site to get an idea what you can do:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Try to identify what you have...then, see what series it belongs to. The tub valve does not appear to be the 1700 series, but you have not shown the rough-in/cartridge of the other valve.

A nice thing about the R10000 rough-in valve (used with several series, I think, but definitely for the 1700) is that it can accept a wide range of functionality, depending on your desires: single handle pressure balanced; and two different two handle ones: one with volume/temp, the second with volume/thermostatic control. Any of the trim/cartridge packages will fit into that rough-in valve. Other series are less flexible.

knscarlato

Reaction score
Here is the shower cartridge...

DSC_0258.jpg

knscarlato

Reaction score
Also, I can't seem to remove what I think is called the bonnet off of the cartridge. Any info on this??

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Well, it doesn't look like the R10000 rough-in valve body, but that doesn't mean you can't find some other trim to fit...just that your options may not be as big. One of the pros may know, but Delta's tech support is pretty good. It's early yet...see what answers you get before you can call Delta on Monday.

I think the chrome part unscrews, but that also releases the cartridge, and you better have the water turned off first, or you're going to get a bath whether you want it or not.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a Delta 1700 and while it is quite similar, I do not think it is a 1700. Since you have everything exposed, you might want to consider a new unit. Not at all sure of how much more it would cost that redoing what you have though.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your valve is the "old" 1500 series with the separate temperature control handle. As far as I know there are no "replacement" kits for it. Contact Delta a 1-8--345DELT and see if they still have parts for it. If I remember correctly, there is an adapter to make a current cartridge work in it, and if so, then modern trim might fit.

SHR

Reaction score
Thanks Jim! I guess I am still confused though. When I went to delta and searched for the 1700 series, only one conversion kit came up...still not even sure if that's what I would need.

You found the kit. The Delta RP29405 will convert your old 1500 to a 1700 so it is modern and can be serviced or upgraded. Call Delta with any more questions about the conversion.

delta-rp29405.jpg

Michdog

Reaction score
Hello All!

I am in need of hep! I am very new to this type of project, so bare with in my attempt to explain myself. I am looking to replace my current shower handle with something more up to date. I believe the current model is the Delta 1500 or Delta 1700, but not quite sure. At this point, I do not want to have to replace the entire valve, just the handle and plate behind it. What are my options at this point? Do I need to get some sort of converter? or are there models out there now that will fit this type of valve? ANY info on this would be a great help!

View attachment 23997View attachment 23998View attachment 23999
take valve out and take to lowes home depot or harware store. Tell them its from a Delta and they will give you your options.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks