Okay to Install Only AAV’s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Radio Flyer

Reaction score
My home is a two-story modular that’s 11 years old and connected to sewer. It seems that when it was built the seven vent stacks installed up to the attic were only stubbed into the attic and never extended through the roof or even tied together. They’re each capped with foil and they mostly stick up just a few inches above the blown insulation (see photos). My drains do seem to work though, and amazingly, I don’t smell any sewer gas in the attic.

Separately, on the side of the house, there’s a small, single-story entry room with a half-bath. Above that half-bath is a vent that DOES penetrate the roof in the normal way (see photo, with vent circled in red). Again, though, it’s at a lower level than the main house’s roofline, since it’s a single-story entry room only.

My question is, instead of extending the vents in the attic above the roofline in the traditional way, would it be acceptable for me to just install Studor Mini-Vent AAV’s on each of those seven vent stacks, since I already have one vent above the roofline to relieve positive pressure,?

To do that, I’m assuming I’d need to add extenders, elbows in some cases, and pipe to get them at least 6 inches above the insulation, right? That would avoid creating new roof penetrations (ideal here in snow country, plus roofers here are booked until next summer, so it’d be hard to get help to finish the boots and flashing). Thank you!

Only Outside Vent.jpg Vent 1.jpeg Vent 2.jpg Vent 3.jpg Vent 4.jpg Vent 5.jpg Vent 6.jpg Vent 7.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In theory, yes. One full size vent through the roof to positive and negative pressures and the rest AAV's.
It's not likely that it would pass an inspection, but they are supposed to work that way. And yes they should be extended above the insulation and be accessible for replacement down the road.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Radio Flyer
Thanks for good description and pics . I guess s happens I would prefer to tie some of the vents together and penetrate roof with at least one vent. but aavs are ok too. But if you have vents say 6 foot apart why not tie together?
Im not a big fan of aav wouldnt want some gas trapped in my attic, so I prefer vents out roof. To me its safer and more mechanicaly sound than a check valve. Im not any kind of safety expert but just seems safer and more practical. so when summer comes or whenever Im going on roof Id pop a hole and vent out at least one more when I "got arround to it " meanwhile aavs!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have always plumbed my homes with vents through the roof. It's too bad the plumbers didn't finish their job.
Like mentioned above, you can tie a lot of those vents together in the attic.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks