Oil? in water, new plumbing, where is it coming from?

Users who are viewing this thread

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cold water plumbing for my new house near Rochester, NY just went in. I'm using a well that's from the 1980s, but never was used until now. In preparation for having no water while I shocked the well, I filled some 5 gallon pails up from my sink for my tile guy. I noticed I have some miniscule little droplets rising to the surface that spread out in a thin slick on the water.

Last week I got back water test results from a hydrant near the well which was negative for xylene, toluene, and benzene. So the water test seems clear of fossil fuel indicators. (I plan on going out and looking at the water from the hydrant to see if I spot the same floaty stuff in the water. We're having a snow storm and it will have to wait though.)

Could this oil be from the new plumbing? It's mostly PEX, but there is copper mixed in. Other than checking the water at the well hydrant, what else can I do to diagnose this?

Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Were the pails new or used previously for something else? What sink and faucet type? At the well or pressure tank, was pipe dope used on any threaded connections? If yes, too much was applied and it's in contact with the water.

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pails were new from Lowes.
The faucets were kitchen faucets from Peerless.
I'm unsure on pipe dope, I didn't do the plumbing myself.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks