Oil Hot Water Heater Shuts off every two days! Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

truthfreesyou

Reaction score
update: my service guy came and installed a new transformer. he said the porcelain insulators over the wires were cracked, or something like that.. either way, it has now been working perfectly for two days!!!! hooray!! (so far...)

does this make sense? or am i lucky it is working?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you still getting scalding hot water out of your cold tap?

truthfreesyou

Reaction score
Are you still getting scalding hot water out of your cold tap?

we are still getting hot water for the first 10 seconds or so, so i have to say yes to your question. however, the machine is not shutting itself down anymore, so the main problem is fixed.

i think these are separate issues, and the new transformer fixed one...

and my tech told me that the machine does not have a thermostat, so it couldn't be a bad thermostat.

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
You said you have had multiple service calls for this problem . If the problem is now solved the first service person should have found the problem . Cracked porcelain on the transformer or electrodes is not hard to see .

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is that heat is escaping from the tank to the cold inlet, and that hot water is mixing with your cold water supply for the rest of the house. Ask your maint. tech about installing heat traps on the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks