Oil burner TACO leak

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeGlosta

Reaction score
Taco motor: 110-144

Hot water heat ONLY.

leaking where the shaft connects to impeller. The motor is pretty old so I'm thinking of replacing it with 007 but I'd like a few opinions on the matter.

The 110 pumps hot water to the second floor, cast iron radiators. There is a 007-F5 on the burner which pumps hot water to the third floor, baseboard.

Can I replace the 110 with 007? How to connect 1.75" nut to smaller line, 007?

S

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I couldn't find a spec for the 110-144 online. Is there anything on the nameplate about HP & RPM? I assume the distribution plumbing is all pretty fat?

The pumps in the 110 series bigger than -130 are fairly high horsepower & high volume. At pumping head of 5 feet the -007 delivers about 15 gpm, whereas all the bigger 110s would be pumping more than 100gpm. At a pumping head of 10 feet the 007 isn't moving any water (0 gpm!), whereas any of the bigger 110s would be delivering over 70 gpm.

Depending on the system's pumping head and true gpm volume needs it's at least remotely possible that you could drop in an 007 and it would still work fine, but it's not super-likely that it's the right pump.

MikeGlosta

Reaction score
I couldn't find a spec for the 110-144 online. Is there anything on the nameplate about HP & RPM? I assume the distribution plumbing is all pretty fat?

The pumps in the 110 series bigger than -130 are fairly high horsepower & high volume. At pumping head of 5 feet the -007 delivers about 15 gpm, whereas all the bigger 110s would be pumping more than 100gpm. At a pumping head of 10 feet the 007 isn't moving any water (0 gpm!), whereas any of the bigger 110s would be delivering over 70 gpm.

Depending on the system's pumping head and true gpm volume needs it's at least remotely possible that you could drop in an 007 and it would still work fine, but it's not super-likely that it's the right pump.

That's where the problem begins: No data on the 110 anywhere to be seen. You're probably correct to suggest I avoid a switch out -I'm leaning to a seal kit for the 110.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
There's plenty of data on the 110 series, just no mention of the 110-144. Taco usually lists the voltage, horsepower rating and RPM on the same label as the model number, so take a good look at what's there. For instance, the -007-F5 is a 115V nominal 1/25 HP pump that spins at 3250 RPM, according to the label:

super_zoom.jpg

MikeGlosta

Reaction score
There's plenty of data on the 110 series, just no mention of the 110-144. Taco usually lists the voltage, horsepower rating and RPM on the same label as the model number, so take a good look at what's there. For instance, the -007-F5 is a 115V nominal 1/25 HP pump that spins at 3250 RPM, according to the label:

super_zoom.jpg
My problem is with the 110. There is plenty of info on the 007 tag - but nothing on the 110 - which is why I'm wondering if I can replace the 110 with the 007. Note: the connector pipes for each are different sizes.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
As previously stated, the bigger 110 s typically pump MUCH higher volumes than the -007, which makes it unlikely to be a suitable replacement. There's a REASON the connector plate for the 110 is a lot bigger than the 007: It hooks up to bigger-bore plumbing that's designed for higher flows.

To know if you really need that much flow require analyzing your system, the design heat load, the amount & type of radiation, the size & length of the plumbing. It's possible that the original hydroic designer just stuck a monster pump on it even though it didn't need it, but it's unlikely that they oversized it THAT much.

The current versions of the 110-xxx series have the specifications on the motor housing:

110223RP.JPG

MikeGlosta

Reaction score
As previously stated, the bigger 110 s typically pump MUCH higher volumes than the -007, which makes it unlikely to be a suitable replacement. There's a REASON the connector plate for the 110 is a lot bigger than the 007: It hooks up to bigger-bore plumbing that's designed for higher flows.

To know if you really need that much flow require analyzing your system, the design heat load, the amount & type of radiation, the size & length of the plumbing. It's possible that the original hydroic designer just stuck a monster pump on it even though it didn't need it, but it's unlikely that they oversized it THAT much.

The current versions of the 110-xxx series have the specifications on the motor housing:

Thanks Dana: Lot of info you've passed along. My Taco motor does not have the pictured label attached. In its place is a large label which simply says Red Baron. It makes sense that the two pumps aren't compatible, especially since the 007 uses copper piping and the 110 services the cast iron radiators which have the 'fat' pipes leading from the pump to each radiator. I'll now consider a seal rebuild or replacement motor.

110223RP.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks