Oil boiler high/low temp

Users who are viewing this thread

jmoser201

Reaction score
Recently moved into a home that has an oil boiler which provides hot water for baseboard heating and an indirect hot water tank. I just had a plumber/hvac guy out to replace the expansion tank and he noticed the Honeywell high/low setting which is currently set at 180/160 with a diff of 10. He said the low was set too high and put it at 120. I researched and that seems way too low for an oil boiler, but I’m not an expert. Does anyone know what the best settings would be for my system? It’s a peerless boiler from 1989. My concern is that 120 will cause condensation

D04A9695-CA26-402E-93FF-92C07356CFC9.jpeg
E9D9B7E6-3B89-4DC6-B5AE-D82E41A740EF.jpeg
BD6BA489-8555-4A0B-9D56-D3066F55CD19.jpeg

V3XyTWm

GM7wq3C

NSMRBMv

Fitter30

Reaction score
Leave it at the 180/ 160. Might want a outdoor reset control ( varies the water temp by outdoor temp). Minimum return water temp 135* for your boiler

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
That type of boiler should only be set with a 140 min. Anything lower will hasten the boilers life dramatically.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
might need it, but I guess it’s been set up without one since 1989. So I should leave it at 160/180?

Just because it is WRONG doesn't men it should be left like that BUT do what you want .. As long as you were told then you took full responsibility

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback! Not sure what the hvac guy I had out was thinking with setting it at 120.

The "Guy" was possibly thinking about scald protection for a shower

People read various codes and have no idea what it means as it very ambiguous to the non professional

Fitter30

Reaction score
T
The "Guy" was possibly thinking about scald protection for a shower

People read various codes and have no idea what it means as it very ambiguous to the non professional
Their is a taco control and sensor on the dhw tank and wiring back over to boiler.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks