Oil boiler for farmhouse renovation

Users who are viewing this thread

Buddy Hughes

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am about to start renovating a 280 sq meter listed farmhouse. Walls are solid, single glazing but underfloor heating fitted downstairs and roof insulated to latest regs. Initially, I was keen on a heat pump - but it now seems that these won't be suitable and will be hugely expensive. There's no mains gas - so oil it is. I am a builder - but this house is for myself. So I want the very best system oil boiler. It will be fitted in a large utility room - so size isn't an issue. DHW will be from an ACV unvented cylinder. So - what's everyone's opinion on the best oil boiler there is? Worcester? Grant?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Getting the sizing correct is more important than whose boiler you use. Run heat load calculation using Hot2000 or ACCA Manual-J using the most optimistic assumptions that would be remotely reasonable to avoid oversizing. Bigger is not better- bigger is less comfortable. Too many homes have boiler with sufficient output capacity to keep the place warm even at -100C or colder.

The best boiler is one with a reputation for reliablity, but also ample local support. If it ever needs to be repaired or updated and the only place to get parts is in Finland it may not be such a great choice, even if it's a great boiler.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks