Offsetting toilet drain 4-5”

Users who are viewing this thread

FC Fireproof

Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the process of renovating one of my bathrooms and I need to move my toilet horizontally around 4-5” to the right to give me more room next to the new tub which is slightly wider than the old tub.

The drain in question is 3” copper. I am keeping it copper as I already have a number of fittings I can use to achieve the result I am looking for. What I would like to do is rotate the 90 elbow 45 degrees to the right, and then use a 45 degree fitting to straighten back up to vertical. I may or may not need to use a small piece of pipe in between to give me the offset I am looking for.

I just need verification that what I want to do will function properly and pass any possible inspections in the future.

Attachments

• DDB36A05-2E0F-412C-8F33-49DDA19DC48C.jpeg
    DDB36A05-2E0F-412C-8F33-49DDA19DC48C.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 117

Reach4

Reaction score
If you cannot keep the wye with what you are planning, I am thinking something like the markup I made, which is awfully similar to what you drew. The difference would be if you witll remove or rotate the elbow. Leaving the elbow in place may work. I would make the changes in plastic rather than copper. It is easier to work with, cheaper, and even more durable in the face of urine.

If it helps, there are some good plastic closet flanges with a 45 degree output. They can pass a 3 inch ball.

Attachments

• img_2.jpg
    img_2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

FC Fireproof

Reaction score
I am thinking something like the markup I made, which is awfully similar to what you drew. The difference would be if you remove or rotate the elbow. Your way may be better. I would make the changes in plastic rather than copper. It is easier to work with, cheaper, and even more durable in the face of urine.

Thank you for the quick reply. I already have various 45 degree 3” copper fittings so I am going to stick with the all copper set up. I have worked with copper alot before so it’s no trouble for me to work with it.

My main question was if I am allowed to rotate a 90 degree elbow to a 45 degree angle at the bottom of the stack before it transitions to the horizontal. Another option is I have a 45 degree street and a standard 45 degree so I can just run off the top of the 90 and then offset with two 45s if the experts feel that would give me a better end result. That configuration would be closer to what you have drawn up.

Reach4

Reaction score
My main question was if I am allowed to rotate a 90 degree elbow to a 45 degree angle at the bottom of the stack before it transitions to the horizontal.
Yes. In IPC you can rotate the toilet drainage to any way that goes downhill even 1/8 inch per foot, which is anywhere between 90 degrees to about 1 degree off of horizontal.

FC Fireproof

Reaction score
Yes. In IPC you can rotate the toilet drainage to any way that goes downhill even 1/8 inch per foot, which is anywhere between 90 degrees to about 1 degree off of horizontal.

perfect! Exactly what I wanted to know. I will plan on rotating the 90 to a 45 and then using a 45 to straighten back up to vertical.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks