Offset toilet flange improper install

Users who are viewing this thread

oljim

Reaction score
I have a 2nd floor leak under a toilet at the joint just past the offset toilet flange above the bend. Water leaks when flushing the toilet and when the shower is running. It looks like the connecting pipe above the bend has been cut and reconnected to the offset flange a couple of times, and now leaks where the flange connects to the pipe above the bend.

I hope that makes sense, I'm obviously not a plumber. To me its strange why the shower leaks at the same spot. I have cut out the ceiling sheetrock below the toilet to notice this leak.

What would be the best way to fix this leak.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"It looks like the connecting pipe above the bend has been cut and reconnected to the offset flange a couple of times, and now leaks where the flange connects to the pipe above the bend."

The only remedy at this point, once the ceiling is open, would be to cut the leaking area/connection out and re-do it with fresh new materials.
It would even be more advisable to hire a plumber for just the connection. You do all the finishings and save money.

oljim

Reaction score
leak.JPG
leak1.JPG
leak.JPG
leak1.JPG
leak2.JPG
View attachment 42747

Here are some photos I hope this helps

Attachments

• leak3.JPG
    leak3.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 319

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
At least it's all open.
It's clean above, so it does look like a bad joint. I would cut it out and replace then. PVC gets primed and glued.

oljim

Reaction score
The shower has a different drain pipe why would it leak from there too.

Reach4

Reaction score
Same plumber?

While primer is usually purple, there is clear primer. So it is not sure no primer was used, but given that you have leaks, that would seem likely.

oljim

Reaction score
At least it's all open.
It's clean above, so it does look like a bad joint. I would cut it out and replace then. PVC gets primed and glued.

So the PVC above the bend should be cut out replaced and primed or should the bend and PVC above the bend all be replaced

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Everything down from the closet bend. You might as well replace that too though. You would have to cut the pipe flush and then drill out the pipe from the fitting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks