Offset toilet flange for 4” cast iron pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Baltik

Reaction score
I’m in the middle of a bathroom remodel and am facing a small dilemma. The existing 4” ID cast iron connector has a busted flange and is 11” from the wall vs the 12” I need for my Woodbridge toilet. I’ve found a few offset adapters but they would raise the toilet about 2” higher which wouldn’t work, any ideas?

basically I need something like this with a 1” offset
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-Twist-N-Set-4-in-Cast-Iron-Toilet-Flange-436532/100171634

this is what I’m finding which would raise the flange height
https://m.ferguson.com/product/prof...-standard-closet-flange-pfcfcoppk/_/R-7000231

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
613ZKYanApL._AC_SS450_.jpg
upload_2021-11-26_10-41-53.jpeg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Either one of these should work THEY do make a CI IC offset CI floor flange

Reach4

Reaction score
You have a picture of a Code Blue C40640

https://www.homedepot.com/p/JONES-STEPHENS-4-in-x-2-in-No-Caulk-Code-Blue-Cast-Iron-Water-Closet-Flange-with-1-in-Offset-C40640/313740731
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Jones-S...Closet-Flange-w-5-16-Bolt-Slots-4-Offset-Blue
c40640-2.jpg

I don't know how high that puts floor level above the top of the cast iron pipe, but I am confident it is not 2 inches. They should specify that IMO.

I think you are implying that your cast iron pipe comes up to the level of the finished floor, and you don't want to grind the pipe lower.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
How about a picture of the existing conditions you are dealing with? And you're looking for an option that doesn't require cutting/removing the floor around the outside of the pipe?

Cheers, Wayne

Baltik

Reaction score
Right - my pipe is slightly above the floor level, it’s also an elbow so I don’t think I can cut it much, photos for clarity

Attachments

• 8B178995-B6CD-48C7-9495-0A045AC0C60C.jpeg
    8B178995-B6CD-48C7-9495-0A045AC0C60C.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 270
  • 6769085F-13F8-4891-8934-7E23C8BAF408.jpeg
    6769085F-13F8-4891-8934-7E23C8BAF408.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 333

Reach4

Reaction score
That does not look like just a pipe, but maybe a pipe with something outside of it. Or maybe it is a cast iron hub with stuff inside of it. You can use a magnet to distinguish iron from non-magnetic materials.

Are you going to add a finished floor such as tiles or hardwood or laminate? Consider that thickness in your plans.

If you lay a straight edge, such as a level, across that round part, how far down is the pipe from the straight edge? How far above or below the straight edge will the finished floor be?

Click Inbox, above.

Last edited:

Baltik

Reaction score
Appreciate the advice, the pipe i have appears to be lead and is part of original construction from 1967 it's 4"ID 5"OD and start to curve almost immediately. I have some flexibility in terms of height but can't do a full 2" rise. That means that the adapter should be an inside fit adapter that will go inside the 4" pipe and be offset by an inch?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
EASY Fix, Remove the old CI and lead and install a caulked CI Floor flange

Baltik

Reaction score
Hi Sylvan - are you referring to removing the old flange? or the actual CI elbow? I do not have access to the piping aside from the top so replacement options are limited. Is there an offset caulked CI floor flange?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Hi Sylvan - are you referring to removing the old flange? or the actual CI elbow? I do not have access to the piping aside from the top so replacement options are limited. Is there an offset caulked CI floor flange?

Remove the lead caulked piece and old flange part DO NOT damage the cast iron pipe

Buy a caulked CI Flange and pack oakum to allow for a depth of 1" lead NOT lead wool but molten lead on DRY oakum

Look carefully at the flange choices

If you have XHCI you have to use a caulked flange and one with an offset .

These work great on cast iron and galvanized steel when you do not have access below

Leave the ell alone

Reach4

Reaction score
Appreciate the advice, the pipe i have appears to be lead
Lead does not attract a magnet. So you might test various areas to see if there are pieces that attract the magnet.

Last edited:

Baltik

Reaction score
ok, feels like I'm finally getting my head around this with everyone's help, i confirmed using a magnet that i have lead on the outside. So I guess that leaves the question of whether I have XHCI or regular 4". Does anyone know the OD of these standards?

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
The old lead should not be hard to remove with a chisel, it is soft. Use a caulk ring with oakum and you can melt the old lead and reuse it. If the pipe is a bit above the floor, that is where you want it so that it is near the top of the ring which should sit on the finished floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks