Offset fitting. I may be thinking too hard about this, but what is this cast fitting called?

Users who are viewing this thread

ShelzMike

Reaction score
Working on remodeling our only bathroom in our small 1943 home. I will be replacing all of the dwv as I need to bring it up to code for venting primarily (or at least I think I do..still working on planning for that).
Under the subfloor, there is this offset that gets it to the stack that is just near it and the one side is right up against a joist as you will see in the picture.

The stack is cast, as you can see, but I plan on replacing with ABS for a variety of reason, but the top of the pipe that the flange sits into is crumbled and jagged so has to be replaced. I am comfortable with this and most other plumbing jobs understand code, but not a lot of L&O experience and would jut rather replace it all the way down to just above the slab in the basement with ABS.

So, as I mentioned, what is this fitting called? Charlotte pipe has something that looks close they call a 45 offset, but this honestly looks more than 45 to me.

Also, does such a fitting exist in ABS or PVC that has the same shape and function, or am I going to have to do something else?

OpuQkcY.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ShelzMike

Reaction score
It is an"offset" fitting. They come/came in various dimensions of offset up to 12" by 2" increments. That one looks like it is a 6" offset.

See, that is what I had always though, but trying to search on as many terms as I can think of bring up..well, it brings up offsets, but nothing like this fitting. I can surely ask at the supply house and they will be able to help me, but I was in the planning stages currently and wanted to just be sure this wasn't some sort of outdated/cast only type of fitting that either doesn't exist in ABS or would be really hard to find or really expensive. Thanks for the reply!

ShelzMike

Reaction score
It is an outdated cast iron fitting. You probably will not find it in cast iron besides in a catalog. You will not find an equivelant PVC / ABS fitting anywhere. 2- 45s or 60s or 90s create the same offset.

Here is a catalog of cast fittings which will give you a part number . pg75
https://www.charlottepipe.com/Documents/DimensionalCatalogs/Cast_Iron_Pipe_Fittings_Eng.pdf

This is what I was thinking. I do not plan on replacing with cast. It is in OK shape as far as I can tell; however, the rest of the DWV needs to be reconfigured and while I am competent with most things, I am not trying to get into a bunch of lead and oakum since I haven't done it since I was like 10 with my grandfather long ago.

Just wanted to be sure there wasn't an equivalent plastic before I went the route of combining 2. Thanks for the response!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks