Offset Closet Flange: OK or No Go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Angelo

Reaction score
Am remodeling a small bathroom. After tiling, the closet flange will be about 11 1/2" rough in distance.
1: Might a 12" rough-in toilet fit here?
2. If not, do you have any positive or negative feedback regarding using an offset flange to gain the extra needed space?
3. Or is it best to just go with a 10" rough toilet?

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
1: Might a 12" rough-in toilet fit here?
11-1/2" will work with any modern toilet. Most specs show between 1/2" and 1" behind the tank on a standard 12" rough.
2. If not, do you have any positive or negative feedback regarding using an offset flange to gain the extra needed space?
There are some good offset closet flanges, and also some not good. If you want flange suggestions, describe your pipe and the area around your pipe.

3. Or is it best to just go with a 10" rough toilet?
No.

The ring goes on top of the finished floor, except avoid having to drill porcelean tile. If gluing the flange in, get it right the first time. If gluing, I would want a stainless steel ring on my flange.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most all toilets are designed with some space behind them to the wall, so, as said, many 12" RI toilets can work, but you need to first ensure your wall is actually plumb...it if leans in some, the height of the toilet could be an issue. You don't really want the back of the toilet in contact with the wall, as it could sweat under some circumstances (not as big an issue with newer toilets unless they're really high use and the water is really cold). This can eventually lead to mildew on the wall...some space allows things to dry off, usually preventing that.

Many spec sheets will show the spacing and sizing of the toilet so you can get an idea of probable fit. ALso, you can usually shift the toilet at least 1/4" or so on the flange while still having the outlet horn pointing into the opening of the flange, giving you a little more leeway.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have found that Toto toilets have the most Extra space behind them on a 12" rough in. You are generally targetting a 2" hole over a 3" hole, so fudging the bolts slightly forward can make up small differences if needed too. Some careful measurments will tell you how far you can go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks