Off grid lake water system, dual pressure tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

paddlincwolfer

Reaction score
So my wife and I bought an remote boat access cabin off grid. Needs lots of work. Eventually we will be powering with solar but now we have a propane generator that we use for our power tools and to charge some batteries. The old water system was a slimy 55 gallon tank that would be filled from the lake with a gas trash pump and then pump to sink with a 12 v pump without a pressure tank. Pump failure do to repetitive off on cycle was frequent and the system was less ideal than just carrying buckets up and heating on the stove to do dishes. Drinking water we haul in.
I am currently designing our new system. I have a Gould 1/2 hp jet pump that will sit enclosed on the shore with a deep intake hose pickup with check valve in about 15 feet of water. I have to pump the water up about 20- 25 feet of vertical to the cabin. This system is not going to be a high volume system. This is largely for dishes and cleaning and dog water etc. We will be hauling our drinking water. There is no indoor plumbing. Outhouse and sauna and tub with snorkel stove meet our bathing requirements.
Eventually, when we get the solar system set up we will have continuous power supply but for now we have intermittent use of the generator. So, it would be nice to have a little larger storage capacity to have small volume of water available between times that the generator is running.
Here is what I am thinking but I am here to get your expertise to modify the plan.
Gould jet pump in small pump box with a 6 gallon pressure tank on the shore. Hose to utility room at back of cabin with a second larger pressure tank that delivers the water to the shack. Dual stage filter in the. utility room (Before or after 2nd pressure tank?). My reason for the second larger pressure tank is to boost the pressure after the vertical rise and to add a little capacity to have small volume of water available when the generator is not running. I would rather keep the pressure tank on the shore low volume to decrease the size of the pump box on the shore and to keep the visual footprint from the water less obtrusive.
Anxiously awaiting and appreciative of your collective wisdom.

Cwolfe

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Don't install a tank at the pump. It serves no purpose. You need to locate the pressure switch at the tank in the cabin, not at the pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks