Off-center toilet rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

Bill J

Reaction score
While working on finishing a previously roughed-in bathroom, I found that the drain for the toilet was installed off-center (in concrete). The drain is 12.5" from the back wall which I think won't be a problem, but the left to right dimensions are way off. The room is 30" wide and the pipe is 13.5" inches from the one wall and 16.5" from the other. Would installing a toilet that far off-center work? Would there be enough room?

If not, what are my options? I have seen an offset flange which says it can change the center 2". I'd rather not install that unless I have to as it'll be a lot of work to knock out the concrete.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
plumbing codes require 15" from the center to the wall.

That would take up 30" if the drain was centered.
There are inspectors that would ask you to offset the flange or move it.

Will the toilet fit that way? Yes.
Will it be comfortable? Not that much, you have to figure the width of your shoulders. I find 30" to be a bit tight anyway.

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
It really honestly is not that big of a deal to knock out the concrete... if you're handy, of course! I would chip it out and use the offset, but then again, I'm pretty anal with that stuff. The measurements are most likely fine (depending on tank width of your old/new toilet going in) and would fit... just off centre as you mentioned. They may have set the drain there to accomodate a roll of TP on the wall, as it's a narrow space... it sucks when you're tucked into a tight spot, and the TP holder is against your arm :)

Bill J

Reaction score
Thanks

Although I'm a DIYer and don't plan on having the work inspected, I'd rather follow code when I know it :) I'll give the offset flange a try and hope I don't crack the PVC while chipping out the concrete.

Any tips for the concrete knock out? I'll just need a cold chisel, a hammer and some patience correct?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks