Off center shower drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Allstarme441

Reaction score
hey! So I'm putting in a new shower where our washer and dryer used to be. The red is new shower walls and door into bathroom. The green is the sewer line that runs from the toilet straight to the basement (it's a split level, so it runs under the slab of the bathroom/washer dryer room, and then out of the wall into the basement). Problem is, since the line runs directly under the center of my shower, I don't believe I have the space for a classic p trap. Is there some sort of product out there for this type of situation? Should I just place the p trap next to the sewer pipe and have it be off center in the shower? Any guidance would be great!

I added a quick plan and section to attempt to illustrate what I'm describing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 363
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 410

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The shower p-trap must be vented before entering the line with the toilet.
The drain can be anywhere if you are making your own mudset pan. More people are installing linear drains too. Those are adjustable as to where the p-trap can be.

index.php

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While the drain works best if it is centered, it can be elsewhere. A linear drain might work out best for you, but they are not cheap. What happens when the drain is not centered is that when you maintain a minimum of 1/4"/foot slope to the longest distance, if you want a level perimeter, it can get quite steep from the drain to the short side since you have to make up more height in a shorter distance. Functionally, it works if you maintain a consistent 1/4"/foot slope to all edges, but aesthetically, it's not what most people expect and it means cutting each tile for the bottom row with a slope on it. While a single slope with a linear drain has the bottom row on at least two side sloped, they all are identical, and it's easier on the eye. Much easier to cut each tile square when the perimeter is level (or start with a full tile, which may not be the best choice if the top row is a sliver).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks