Off center drain shower base

Users who are viewing this thread

orangesoda123

Reaction score
Need a sanity check here. I’m installing a sterling shower base and I noticed in the instructions that the shower valve isn’t lined up with the valve and shower head. I’ve attached a file to show where they have the placement.

is this a common thing or am I misunderstanding something? Seems odd that it wouldn’t line up...

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• C0F0CF9C-F4F7-49E7-A846-D53C32A718F9.jpeg
    C0F0CF9C-F4F7-49E7-A846-D53C32A718F9.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 108

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you install the faucet body, align it with the drain - if you wish.
What's logical to you may not be logical to somebody else.
BTW, I would do and have done what I suggested.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
13-7/8" is the center of the shower drain on that pan?

Most tubs were centered at 14-1/2"
Not a deal breaker though, I've seen some installations that put the shower handle closer to the walk in part. A little odd, but you can make an argument for it too. And after wrestling in the mud, you can then take the shower, it's right there for ya.

orangesoda123

Reaction score
13-7/8" is the center of the shower drain on that pan?

Most tubs were centered at 14-1/2"
Not a deal breaker though, I've seen some installations that put the shower handle closer to the walk in part. A little odd, but you can make an argument for it too. And after wrestling in the mud, you can then take the shower, it's right there for ya.

yes. The drain is centered at 13 7/8. It’s centered in the standing area and not the lip for the edge. A bit odd. I’ll have to see if I want this to line up or go with what the instructions say

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
a bit odd I agree. I wouldn't do that unless upon looking at unit I thought it would be better that way. I've done many fiberglass showers but I've done 10 or 20 times more standard hot mop and tile showers and tubs .
It is very normal though that the drains are not in the center. some people assume the drain will be in center and then get surprised when shower comes in

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks