Odor in hot water after new softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
I just replaced my water softener with a new 32000 grains fleck 5600sxt control. I’ve switched to potassium chloride to avoid any salt in drinking water. I’ve regenerate the new softener and ran about 100 gal of water to flush. This was a week ago. But I still get a small odor from the water that didn’t exist before mostly from the hot water when showering. I forgot to flush out my water heater. Is the sodium from previous softener and the potassium from new softener causing this odor? If I drain 50 gal water heater will this help or will I need something to clean out water heater. Thanks

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I would bypass the softener temporarily to see if the odor is coming from the water heater or the softener.

Reach4

Reaction score
  1. Well?
  2. Is the smell H2S ("sulfur") or something else?
  3. Did you do any sanitizing of your new softener?

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
  1. Well?
  2. Is the smell H2S ("sulfur") or something else?
  3. Did you do any sanitizing of your new softener?
Yes I am on a new well Water report excellent
Not a sulfur smell more fruity smell
Did not sanitize the new softener distributor I purchase from did not recommend it. They did say once it’s all installed to to a complete regeneration which I did
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks