Odor from shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Dustin3232

Reaction score
So we just had our septic drain field cleaned out over the weekend. The next morning I noticed a sewer like smell coming from our bathroom. After investigation, it’s definitely coming from our shower drain. Does not seem to be coming from the toilet or sink. The ptrap still has water in it. Tried dumping some baking soda and vinegar down the drain but the smell came back very soon. We have another bathroom in the house but there is no smell coming from there. What could be causing this right after our drainfield be cleaned?

Reach4

Reaction score
So we just had our septic drain field cleaned out over the weekend.
What caused you to do that cleaning? Was it maybe backup through the shower drain that you are discussing?

Dustin3232

Reaction score
What caused you to do that cleaning? Was it maybe backup through the shower drain that you are discussing?
No we actually had some sewer water seeping up to our grass surface from one of the drainfield tiles. That was why we had the drainfield cleaned. Since it has been cleaned the seeping has stopped. But in turn we have had this odor problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
Cover that drain with a plastic sheet. Sniff under it later to see if the smell is indeed from that drain. If that does not prove to isolate the smell to the drain, try using cheap plastic dropcloths to isolate the lavatory and toilet in a similar way.

I would try cleaning that drain with a brush, detergent, and a bleach solution. Maybe 3 tablespoons of bleach in 1 gallon of water.

I am not a pro.

Dustin3232

Reaction score
Cover that drain with a plastic sheet. Sniff under it later to see if the smell is indeed from that drain. If that does not prove to isolate the smell to the drain, try using cheap plastic dropcloths to isolate the lavatory and toilet in a similar way.

I would try cleaning that drain with a brush, detergent, and a bleach solution. Maybe 3 tablespoons of bleach in 1 gallon of water.

I am not a pro.

I will definitely try all of this. Thank you for your help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks