Odor after pressure tank upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

Jacquelyn Doucette

Reaction score
I recently purchased a rundown home and had it gutted and renovated. There is a cold room in the basement and the pressure tank to my well is located in there. The plumber recommended replacing the tank because it was small and my well pump was running too often. On the day of installation an overwhelming odour of garbage filled the cold room. There was water on the floor from the replacement. The plumber was confused. The smell has persisted now for a month. That is not an obvious source. It eminates into the basement. Some days it is almost nonexistent and many days it is disgusting. I also have a new sump pump in the room. There was not one present before. Ive bleached it even though there doesn’t seem to be any smell coming from it. The cold room has two exterior vents. My plumber says it’s coincidental and has no idea the cause. Thoughts?

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
What is the sump pump’s Discharge pipe connected to? Is it connected to the house plumbing and vent system. Or does it have a separate and dedicated discharge pipe. Does it have an air vent pipe. If so where is the intake end. What I’m getting at, is whether the sump pump might be sucking air from the sewer air vent system?

You had two simultaneous changes made in that room. The pressure tank and the sump pump. I would lean towards suspecting the sump pump as the source of the odor.

Patdmania

Reaction score
I recently purchased a rundown home and had it gutted and renovated. There is a cold room in the basement and the pressure tank to my well is located in there. The plumber recommended replacing the tank because it was small and my well pump was running too often. On the day of installation an overwhelming odour of garbage filled the cold room. There was water on the floor from the replacement. The plumber was confused. The smell has persisted now for a month. That is not an obvious source. It eminates into the basement. Some days it is almost nonexistent and many days it is disgusting. I also have a new sump pump in the room. There was not one present before. Ive bleached it even though there doesn’t seem to be any smell coming from it. The cold room has two exterior vents. My plumber says it’s coincidental and has no idea the cause. Thoughts?
Did you ever figure out what it was? I’m having the same problem.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Patdmania, if you had clicked on Jacquelyn's User Name, you would have seen the last time she visited this forum was November 12, 2018.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks