Odd question...as usual!

Users who are viewing this thread

FatDaddy

Reaction score
My kitchen sinks and dishwasher and the slop sink in my laundry room drain into a drywell.
The pipe is 2" pvc and the run is fifty feet or more to the exterior where it leads to 4" (or more?) cast iron pipe going out to the dry well. The dry well is no longer accessible.

My issue is that even though I use liquid soaps and very rarely use the dishwasher, the 2" pipe clogs up with material that is almost like concrete. It takes over a year to get clogged. LUCKLIY there are low spots in the run and I can just cut/replace the pvc as needed when the clog gets too bad.

My question... does it make sense to install a couple of traps along the run to collect even more debris? I want as little as possible making its way to the dry well that is very old (fifty+ years?) as a failure would force me to divert to my septic system which might stress that and lead to failure.

Finally, are there pigs made for 2" pvc to help clean out the pipe? I have fairly easy access with a couple of cleanouts installed already. Cutting and replacing is easy too.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I suggest running more water and avoiding flushing anything containing fat or grease down the drain. That stuff is going to go somewhere, you definitely don't want it in the dry well. You could probably add a real grease trap somewhere, but what is better is to avoid putting it down the drain in the first place. Scrape the plates into the trash and don't pour any grease or fat into the sink.

FatDaddy

Reaction score
I am very,very focused on not putting anything down the drain. The cement-like clog is weird and must be from the surfacants in the soap. I will look into grease traps and thank you for the link to ClogHog. I may just buy some 1 1/2" hose and attach it to my ShopVac. The ShopVac works but I need more length. Otherwise, I will just cut/replace when necessary.
Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks