Odd question about sediment build up

Users who are viewing this thread

RonL1

Reaction score
When I pulled my defunct pump up out of the well, everything looked pristine, just like out of the box, pump, pipes wires ... everything, except where the 1 1/4 fitting screwed into the pump. That whole area was covered in a ball of sediment. We had to chip it off to get to the fitting to unscrew it from the pump. It was like a ball of red mud encasing it. Not sure what would have caused sediment to build up around that part. The only thing I could Think of was, as the water was being pulled past that point to get to the intake, maybe sediment was able to accumulate there. Just odd there was nothing anywhere else, and no sediment in house filters... just struck me as odd. Sediment was pretty much built up equally all around it.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
When I pulled my defunct pump up out of the well, everything looked pristine, just like out of the box, pump, pipes wires ... everything, except where the 1 1/4 fitting screwed into the pump. That whole area was covered in a ball of sediment. We had to chip it off to get to the fitting to unscrew it from the pump. It was like a ball of red mud encasing it. Not sure what would have caused sediment to build up around that part. The only thing I could Think of was, as the water was being pulled past that point to get to the intake, maybe sediment was able to accumulate there. Just odd there was nothing anywhere else, and no sediment in house filters... just struck me as odd. Sediment was pretty much built up equally all around it.
A build up of something hard like that makes me think it was caused by heat.

RonL1

Reaction score
A build up of something hard like that makes me think it was caused by heat.
Good thinking, maybe as the pump was going bad somehow it heated the whole thing up... but the motor is on the bottom, so maybe the pump itself got hot, oh who really knows. It's fixed and that's what matters. Just an odd spot to get a build up like that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks