Oatley Twist-N-Set into Lead Bend?

Users who are viewing this thread

WannabeDIYer

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Browsed this forum and other websites and although the Twist-N-Set flange is mentioned as an option for my situation, it does not seem to clearly state if the Twist-N-Set can be inserted inside the lead bend.

I am putting locking vinyl planks on top of my vinyl flooring and when I removed the toilet, I noticed the piping had a lead bend and that the flange is broken on the left side. I need to replace and raise the flange and because of the presence of the lead bend, Home Depot clerk sold me the Oatey Twist-N-Set flange.

Can I just insert that flange inside the pipe with the lead bend?

I had a lead bend in the basement too which I managed to remove with a lot of time and cursing so that's the last option I hope for. My house was built in 1987 and the piping is not cast iron, any reason why these lead bends were used?

Many thanks

Lead bend and Broken Flange.jpg Oatey Twist-N-Set.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would not try installing that on a lead bend.
That installs on round plastic pipe, may cast, but not lead.

To hold the bolts, pick up a flat repar ring that can be screwed to the floor, and then make sure the lead is formed flat to the floor with no cracks.
If you want to drop a flange over that, pick up one that easily drops in, and then Silicone it down to the lead where it meets the floor.

Reach4

Reaction score
If it is only the part that holds the closet bolts in place, something like this can do the job.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sioux-Chief-Stainless-Steel-Flange-Repair-Ring-886-MR/202274075 That way lets the wax do the sealing rather than wondering if the inside of the lead surface is a match for the gasket. You may need 2 wax rings or other solution.

Also see https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/awkward-flange-trouble-please-help.58018/#post-427639 for a description of a repair ring that attaches to new holes in the flooring rather than running the floor attachment screws through the existing ring. Drilling porcelain tile can be hard, and may be harder than drilling cast iron.

red_ring_03.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Can I just insert that flange inside the pipe with the lead bend?

No. Yikes.

Terry has the solution, and I certainly don't have anything useful to add to what he suggests. You really don't need the flange per se if you follow his instructions and Reach's additions. Do not under any circumstances use the spacer-ring crap that they sell at HD to put on top of a flange. That's asking for a leak, even if you caulk the crap out of it.

Good luck on your install, and come back with any more questions.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I found this flange at a home center. It came with a larger rubber sleeve that had plenty of give to it. It seemed perfect for pushing into lead, which is often a little out of round. I cut most of the extension off, reposistioned the rubber sleeve to the end and pushed it in. Secured with wood screws, it seemed to be just what was needed.

lead-bend-flange-fix.jpg

jlatnyc

Reaction score
I found this flange at a home center. It came with a larger rubber sleeve that had plenty of give to it. It seemed perfect for pushing into lead, which is often a little out of round. I cut most of the extension off, reposistioned the rubber sleeve to the end and pushed it in. Secured with wood screws, it seemed to be just what was needed.

lead-bend-flange-fix.jpg
Anyone know which flange Terry was referring to here?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't see a name brand on it.. maybe the black ABS version might have something stamped on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks