Oatey shower drain lower than tile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Call me Jobe

Reaction score
Thanks for reading, new to the forum, and I appreciate all your help and advice.

I bought a house that had a lot of questionable remodeling done to it, and one of those problems is a floor drain that sits lower than the tile with grout over the top of it.

This Oatey model has a pop cover, so unfortunately I can't just use a simple height extending kit with screws [wish I could].

Once I remove the grout, pop off the cover, is there any adjustment that can made here, or do I just cut the floor drain off and start over and do it correctly?

Thanks again.

20191031_180021.jpg

20191031_180030.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the problem? Are you talking 1/2 inch, or what?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It's not pretty but at least it is lower than the tile, not higher. There are no adjustments. If you want it leveled, you'll need a tool to cut the PVC drain pipe from the inside, replace the drain assembly and regrout, but you probably will need to break up some of the tile to get a new drain in plus some digging. If this is on a wooden floor it will be tricky to make it waterproof, if it is in concrete, much easier.

kohler-shower-drain-square.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
So, that bumpy, smeary, gray stuff is grout! I'm sure I've seen that tile recently so do what Worth suggests. Personally, I would redo the entire bottom.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A clamping drain has the top portion that holds the grate that is vertically adjustable but once it's installed in the mud bed, it usually ends up locked in place.

Grout can be made as a cement based material or epoxy or acrylic. All of them end up hard once cured. How smooth it ends up is dependent upon the skill of the installer. How smooth the texture depends on the type. Bigger joints then tend to be what is called a sanded grout which is rougher than an Unsanded.

if they did not install a liner and use a clamping drain, it should never have passed an inspection.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks