Oatey No Caulk Drain - Installation Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Zerocool749

Reaction score
This week I installed a Oatey No-Caulk drain for my basement shower. This pan and PVC pipe is mortared in. Cutting the PVC drain pipe at the perfect height was difficult and I think I cut it about 1/16" too short. When I push the rubber gasket down, it stays just above the lip of the PVC drain pipe. I used a blunt tool to push the rubber gasket down as far as it would go on the PVC pipe. When I tighten the gasket screw, the rubber gasket gets pinched on the edge of the PVC pipe. So, it's hand tight, but I'm worried about this pinch. What is the correct install here?

Drain Test - I did do a three hour drain test. I used a test plug, filled the shower pan, marked a line, and waited three hours. There was no leak, my water was still at my line. So, I think I'm good?

Picture 1 - See that pinch on the left side? I'm so damn close!

1654370547433.png

Picture 2

1654370795949.png

Thanks again and I appreciate your advice!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
No leak, sounds good.
If you want to try pulling the drain upward, I sometimes use a cat claw to grab it from the inside and nudge it upward.

cat-claw-tool.jpg

Don't drop though.

Zerocool749

Reaction score
Damn that is a good idea. It's in basement, so I did put a bed of mortar under the shower base including near the PVC drain, so I'm pretty sure that thing ain't moving.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks